West River Trail, Adirondacks

West River Trail, Adirondacks

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12359°N / 73.856°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Note:

Please read the red tape section of this page before visiting this area as it is on the property of the Adirondack Mountain Reserve/Ausable Club. Without thier permission, none of these amazing trails would be available to the public.

Overview:

Mileage: 3.8
Elevation Gain: 613

This trail is very fine by many standards. It meanders along the east branch of the Ausable river, past waterfalls and beautiful meadows. Also it leads to many trails that head right up to the Great Range summits. It is reached by using the St Huberts parking area/trailhead. First you must pass through the gate on the Lake Road Trail.
Lake Road TrailThis is the gate that leads to the Lake Road trail.
Note: do not follow signs for the Ladies Mile trail, it is a loop trail that does not connect to any of the other trails. After passing through the gate, in about a quarter mile you will see a sign for the East River Trail, take this right. Soon after, there will be a sign that says West River Trail and a bridge that crosses the East Branch of the Ausable River, take this trail, cross the bridge and bear left at the junction and you are on your way.

Route Description

Hiking is mostly easy with some rooty and rocky sections often. There are some ups and downs, but nothing too strenuous. At 2.0 miles from the gate, the junction with the Wedge Brook Trail is on the right. This trail leads gently to the notch between Upper and Lower Wolf Jaws. 200 yards up the Wedge Brook trail is a beautiful series of cascades. (furthur up the trail 1.2 miles are some good camping spots on public lands). Continuing on the West River Trail, at 2.7 miles, you will pass Beaver Meadow Falls, with a beautiful 25 foot bridal veil like appearance.
Beaver Brook FallsBeaver Brook Falls
After the falls is the entrance to the Beaver Meadow Trail on the right leading to the notch between Gothics and Armstrong. After this junction is an amazing area called Beaver Meadow, it has many gorgeous areas to stop and admire nature.
Beaver MeadowBeaver Meadow area
At 3.8 miles you will have reached the end of the trail. At this junction, there are three options. To the right is the Alfred W. Weld trail leading to the notch between Sawteeth and Pyramid/Gothics. Also to the Right, then left, is the Scenic Trail which leads up over the "sawteeth" to the summit of Sawteeth. This trail lives up to its name with many overlooks of Lower Ausable Lake, Indian Head, and Mt. Colvin. To the left leads over the dam to the East river and Lake Road Trails, which both lead back to the gate, making an interesting loop.
Beaver Meadow (clear)Beaver Meadow Area

Mountains and Trails accesable from the West River Trail.

Note: all mileage and elevation are from the gate to the summit of each peak. One Way (not round trip)

-Lower Wolf Jaw via West River Trail, Wedge Brook Trail, and Great Range Trail: 4.2 miles 2900 ft. elev. gain.

-Upper Wolf Jaw via above trails: 4.5 miles 2910 ft. elev. gain

-Gothics via West River Trail, Beaver Meadow Trail, and Great Range Trail: 5.7 miles 3400 ft. elev. gain.

-Armstrong via trails above: 5.4 miles 3000 ft. elev. gain.

-Sawteeth via West River Trail, and Scenic Trail: 6.8 miles 3000 ft. elev. gain.


Red Tape

These trails begin on Private Land. The AMR/Ausable club land encompasses Both Upper and Lower Ausable lakes and the surrounding land area.

There are no dogs allowed and no camping. One must reach legal areas to camp outside these lands. The transition from Private to public lands are well marked along the trails. If you arrive at the trailhead too late to reach legal camping, the ranger may turn you back.

Everyone must hike from the parking lot. No drop-offs or pick-ups are allowed at the trailhead area/gate.

No Boating or swimming in the waters.

As in all of the eastern high peaks area of the Adirondacks, these rules must also be followed.

-If staying over night, a self issued "trip ticket" must be filled out and one copy kept with you at all times for rangers inspection.

-Bear canisters are a requirement from april 1 to November 30 and you may be turned back by a ranger if you do not have one. for more info see the Adk Mountain Club website.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.