West Side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 64.28330°N / 15.0167°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There section of the main page to get to the trailhead.

Route Description

From the parking area, head straight up (east). First third of the route is an easy mossy hill hike. It then steepens and you want to avoid the scree/talus on the left and scramble up moss-covered rocks on the right. Don't go too far to the right if you have bad visibility though as it would put you over a cliff.

At the top of the moss-covered section you will have to climb some scree to gain more solid rock just below the ridgeline. Stay tight to the rocks and scramble up Class 3 rock to gain the ridge where you can. Walk the ridgeline to a point between two small gendarmes and then flip over to the east side of the ridge. Easy class 3 from there to the summit.

If you stay on the west below the ridgeline too long, you will come to loose Class 4, possibly Class 5 stuff and can not pass without technical gear. Head back if you come to this point and flip over the ridge as soon as you can and you'll find much easier going over there.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.