West Side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.91200°N / 122.221°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trail
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow Directions on main page to parking area (a small space, enough room for maybe two cars) across from the trailhead.

Route Description


Summit Route:

The maze of trails on Sumas Mountain can easily get you lost. -Please be respectfull of private property. Sumas Mountain sees few visitors, make a good impression for the rest of us.-

The trailhead starts at the end of Sealund Rd. (do not park on private land) and is clearly marked "Gold Mine Trail."

The first quarter-mile follows a barbwire fence and is a real mudhole (gaiters are a must any time of year). This section passes quickly and the trail turns Southeast. A little over a mile the trail breaks out into the open, stay left to go to the top, the right trail leads to an abandoned gold mine (see later section). At this point the trail steepens and you'll reach the "Friendly Cabin" at 1.4 miles.

In another quarter-mile you'll have to make a choice: Longer but easier, or shorter but harder. If opting for the former head right at the fork. If opting for the latter go left (which may be difficult to see) this is the way I always go. Take a few looks back on the way up to help remember your way down, there are many game trails, don't be fooled.

This trail gets very steep as you get higher, be carefull. The last bit will take you along a large cliff on the east side of the mountain. Continue as far as you wish, the trail ends in a clearcut. Despite difficult travel, the clearcut is worth venturing into for a spectacular view.

Roundtrip to the clearcut is 10 miles 3,000ft elevations gain. This is an excellent training hike/climb, especially if you're getting tired of Chuckanut. Enjoy!


*With the right vehicle it is possible to drive to the top of Sumas Mountain. I will not post information on how to do so due to the multitude of good reasons I shouldn't, including the express wishes of the DNR.

Essential Gear


Gaiters (all year)
Trekking Poles are nice
Water
Bug Spray

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
metasyn11

metasyn11 - Oct 16, 2007 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

logging...

Due to logging activities, the route up Sumas Mountain from the west has been seriously disrupted. On my trip up (10/16/07) I encountered active logging around Friendly Cabin and was unable to make it to the summit. I will do more reconnaissance soon and report back on alternate routes, but if you plan on summiting I'd go on a weekend. And if you want to see forest, I'd go soon, as it looks like most of the middle section of the route is slated for 'harvesting'.

Scott Dusek

Scott Dusek - Oct 17, 2007 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: logging...

Thanks for the info... unfortunately it's not good news :( Please let me know what you find out after further research and I'll integrate it into the main page. It may be that a new trail is planned etc. cheers, -Scotty

metasyn11

metasyn11 - Oct 18, 2007 2:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: logging...

Second try in two days and I managed to make it to the summit and bypass the current logging by taking the Gold Mine Loop instead of heading up to Friendly Cabin at the junction at mile 1.1. Take the right fork continuing along Swift Creek (instead of the left one going up to Friendly Cabin), and in another half mile stay left (heading north) until rejoining the main trail. Take a right here and start ascending steeply. This variation seems to be roughly equivocal in terms of distance, but at least there'll be no logging trucks to contend with... for the time being. By the looks of the tree markings along the trail most of the forest between mile 0.8 and 1.5 is slated for clearcutting, so future disruptions are likely. Its a shame, this really is a hidden gem of a mountain.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.