West Side

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.58222°N / 111.63111°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There are really any number of ways you can climb the mountain, but the West side seems to be the least steep out of all them, and therefore much easier. There are some use trails that have developed and help to keep you off of the scree so you won't slip back as much.

Getting There

See main page. You want to park near the South Western side of the mountain.

Route Description

From the southwestern side, you will head up the trail towards the saddle between SP and the smaller hill to its west. Once you gain the saddle, you will see that the face is less steep here and there are a number of cris-crossing trails that lead toward the top. You head pretty much straight up the mountain. Avoid stepping on fragile plants.

For the descent, you can start directly above where you parked, finding a steeper area to increase the fun level. The start scree-skiing, taking big leaps and digging your feet in like an ice skater. Be careful.

Essential Gear

You will want to wear some close-toed shoes, and perhaps even gaiters because it is very easy to get small rocks in your shoes, especially on the descent. In the past I have had to stop half-way down to bail-out my shoes.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

SP CraterRoutes