West slope routes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.72490°N / 113.4404°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Challenging
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

(This is the first route I've added to SP. Apologies in advance for any errors.)
Approach from West side. Advantage = climb not that bad. Disadvantage = greater distance to base of range. But if you elect to use a mtn bike, that problem goes away (see below)

Getting There

I'm going to assume you can use Google Maps. You want to get this point along the Pony Express Route: 39 50' 26" N, 113 29' 23" W. This the point where, driving East from Callao, the road bends 60 degrees to the North. From Callao this point is about 13 miles heading East. If coming from Fish Springs NWR, it is 6.8 miles after you pass "North Springs" the small distinct pond on the East side of the road with a "No Swimming" sign (and often a flock of pelicans.)
Unnamed Image
From this point head due South on an unimproved road for approx 6.8 miles until you reach 39 45' 02" N, 113 30' 58" W. There is a faint doubletrack heading off East toward the Fishg Springs range at this point. Park here.

Route Description

This route- either option- is ~5.3 miles to the summit one-way. But here's the deal: the first 2.9 miles is on the old jeep track. It's easy walking, and even easier mtn biking (average 8% grade, easy climb.) The technicality here is that the jeep track may traverse WSA land. It's not signed, and there are ATV tracks, but I believe technically it is. So evaluate and do what you're comfortable with. I'm not telling you to bike it- I'm just saying it's an easy, pleasant spin.

At mile 2.9 (39 44' 18" N, 113 28' 15" W) the jeep track ends in a large meadow. Turn South here and start walking. You'll follow the West side of the range due South over a couple of low rises until you reach your ascent option. (Terrain is open and easy here, and you'll often follow wild horse trails.

There are two ridges which can be ascended, which I'll refer to as "North" and "South". They're almost the same distance, and roughly the same difficulty. A nice way to do this peak is to ascend one and descend the other. (I ascended South ridge, and descended North.)
Unnamed Image

Ascent Option 1: North Ridge. (This attached GPX is for this route- logged as a descent.) Make for point 39 44' 26" N, 113 27' 35" W. Turn due East and start walking up the ridge. The first 2/3 of this ridge is a piece of cake- great footing, class 2. Then it'll get a bit steeper and looser. Straight above you is what I call the "Tooth" a big pillar of stone standing alone in a gap in the ridgeline.
Unnamed Image
Keep climbing toward the tooth until you're maybe hundred yards below it, and then turn to the Southeast, climbing/side-hilling your way to the summit.
Unnamed Image
This is the tedious part- lots of loose scree, several minor (class 3) ledges and some brushy sections (mountain mahogany). Eventually you'll climb up a break in the ~15 ft wall guarding the summit about 50 feet South of the actual summit.
Unnamed Image
Advantages of this route are the easy lower ridge, and easy access to two very interesting features on the ridge- the aforementioned "Tooth" and a cool triangular arch (maybe ~8 ft high) just North of the summit.
Unnamed Image

Ascent Option 2: South Ridge. Make for point 39 43' 20" N, 113 27' 32" W. Turn due East and start walking up the ridge. Navigation is probably even easier on this route, but the ridge includes more rocky outcrops that necessitate brief detours or class 3 scrambles. Nothing too hairy, just a little more tedious. You'll keep working your way straight up, aiming for a castle-like turret, which from below, you may initially mistake for the peak.
Unnamed Image
At the base of the turret, skirt it to the left (North) and make your way up to the final break in the low wall below the summit. This last section, skirting the turret, is kind of a b****, but you're never exposed more than 8 - 10 feet.

Amazing views all around. This is a great peak. I first climbed it- largely on a lark- in 2005. Recently there's been talk of adding this range to the Air Force range, which could possibly limit future access, which spurred me to re-visit this fine peak.

Essential Gear

Water obviously. Long pants. I like finger-less gloves for this type of terrain. A trekking pole is helpful on the descent. Like on practically all of these West Desert ranges, nothing is "nailed down"- every rock slips, slides or rolls. Test every step or fingerhold before committing. No cell coverage anywhere on this hike.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.