West Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.62690°N / 106.2856°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Find the Cyclone Creek trailhead about 8 miles from the U.S. 50 turnoff onto County Road 240. There is room for several vehicles at the sign that marks the old Shavano ghost town site. The hike starts up a former jeep track, which has been closed off to vehicles. The track soon becomes a faint, sketchy trail. Hike almost 2 miles north along Cyclone Creek. The trail is faint and easily lost, especially as you enter the long willow thicket bordering the creek on both sides. That is where you need a trail the most, of course. The trail tends to parallel the stream about 50 yards uphill to the east.

On the approach you walk right past the aptly named Calico Mountain, on the other side of the creek. Pass several small ponds along the creek, and look for a break in the trees to the right at about 1.6 miles, or 11,480 ft.

Route Description


Leave the trail at 11,480 ft. Turn right, and hike a half mile northeast to the base of a broad, shallow gully. Ascend this unstable, talus filled gully about 1400 ft. to the saddle between Carbonate Peak (right) and Cyclone Peak (left). From the saddle, simply hike to either summit along the ridge. This is the easiest part of your day.

Essential Gear


Nothing out of the ordinary.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.