Western Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.62900°N / 76.814°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "getting there" section from Millersburg to the head of the mountain. There is no maintained trail so it's up to you to do your homework on the topo in picking the best spot to climb up the mountain. No matter where on the ridge you start though, you'll encounter some class 3 scrambling.

Route Description


This route can vary in time depending on how far you plan on hiking/climbing. After picking your spot on the ridge, continue up the steep head of the mountain. You will face a 60 degree slope at the bottom and as you continue up to near the top you'll reach some rock ledges that require some extra concentration. This is a solid class 3 move no matter where at the head you plan to ascend. From the ledges it is a short, but steep, hike to the top of the ridge. This route provides plenty of fun scrambling opportunities. The views are also excellent out over the Susquehanna River and towards Millersburg.

Essential Gear


Trekking poles, possibly rope, good hiking shoes, some snacks, and plenty of water.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.