Western Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.86410°N / 105.0706°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking south near timberlineLooking south near timberline from the trail
The route ascends through the notch of the ridge in this photo


This is a pleasant if somewhat steep (3,100 feet in 3.5 miles) hike on the western slope of the Pikes Peak massif to gain the Teller County Highpoint. It is almost entirely on trail and, once the hiker overcomes a bit of spaghetti junction of trails near the beginning, the later part of the hike is easy to follow (conditions permitting). Roughly two-thirds of the route travels through deep forest, while the remaining third is above the trees with wide-open views.

Roundtrip Distance: 7 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,100 feet

Getting There

Head-Butting BisonHead-Butting Bison
Eastward on upper section of routeEastward on upper section of route


From US 24 in Divide

• Turn south onto CO 67
• Follow CO 67 for 4.1 miles
• Turn left onto dirt road
• Continue on dirt road for 3 miles to trailhead

Note: Park your vehicle at the newly developed Forest Service trailhead; do not continue on to park at the campground if you are day-hiking.

Route Description

Looking north near timberlineLooking north near timberline
Western Slopes Route Map


• Depart the parking lot toward the trailhead (see Crags Trailhead postings).
• Continue on the trail for about 1/10th of a mile to a trail junction. At this point, the Crags Trail goes left and the trail you want goes right.
• Follow FS Trail 664A across a well-built log bridge. Be cautious to continue following the correct trail. After the river crossing, your ascent begins.
• Continue east on an easily discerned trail, occasionally switching back, to timberline.
• Above timberline (just below 12,000 feet), the trail will lead you up through a gentle notch in the slope. The trail in this section can be steep and slick (in either snow or dry conditions on Pikes Peak gravel).
• Once the top of the ridge (approximately 12,700 feet) is gained, “Devils Playground” will be visible ahead of you to the east.
• The trail arcs in a northeasterly trend toward the Pikes Peak road.
• About ¼ mile from the top of the ridge, depart the trail toward a low point between un-ranked Point 12,792 and “Devils Playground.”
• Ascend the western slopes of “Devils Playground” to the summit.

Essential Gear

Approaching summit from eastApproaching summit from east
Approach from the westApproach from the west


• Bring outerwear appropriate to the season.
• Haul plenty of water, there is little available once the route leaves the valley.
• Carry a good area map like the Pikes Peak Atlas.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.