White Butte 2012 - Beautiful Mtn

White Butte 2012 - Beautiful Mtn

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 27, 2012
Activities Activities: Hiking

Add Heading Here

[Updated: 06/12/2012] SummitPosters, if you like this report, please vote for it, thanks! Check my profile for all my state highpoint reports.

We had a great time hiking White Butte in the Memorial Day weekend in 2012... It's my 39th highpoint so I've gotten quite used to the long driving, I've invited a couple of friends from all over the country and we've just hiked Mt. Elbert the day before - a full day drive took us to Bowman, ND, the closest town with a nice motel, from Bowman it's a 30 minute drive north on highway 85.

It's an extremely dry area and we honest saw more cows, goat and deer than people, Bowman has an awesome 24-hr gas station with a small cafe and hot food, it rocked.

We arrived at the trailhead at 8:10PM, back at the car at 9:30PM. The trailhead is very, very easy to find, just follow the directions on summitpost, the thing is, the dirt road actually showed on my Garmin GPS so it's extremely easy to find, no problem at all.

Photobucket
The trailhead with the donation box, you park on the side of the road here, there is a road closed sign, and you simply can't drive into this tractor road with a regular car.



Photobucket
Looking at White Butte (you cannot see it in this picture), it's a 15 minute dash to the bottom of the hill, from there it's a 20 minute hike, follow closely to the fence, that's the trail.


Photobucket
This is an abandoned house, about 10 minutes in.


Photobucket
another view of the white butte

Photobucket
when you get to the bottom of the hill, this view is to your right, you will start to do a quick climb up the hill.

Photobucket
the actual climb, I was very tired from the Elbert hike.

Photobucket
When you get up the first bump, you'll see the actual summit. We didn't see rattle snakes or anything, I personally saw a small rat, some deer, a flying turkey, couple of cows, and that's it.

Photobucket
View from the top.

Photobucket
summit register

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
EastKing

EastKing - Jun 17, 2012 8:17 am - Voted 10/10

Now it is up to hard ones

I noticed which ones you have left. I might try to help you out on a couple of those in the next two years. Gannett and Granite I want to do next year (maybe combine with Grand Teton and Borah for a two week trip). You might want to contact Josh Lewis on SP for Hood and Rainier. He has been up both multiple times and never minds going again.

sm0421

sm0421 - Jul 3, 2012 10:43 pm - Hasn't voted

would love to do

Gannett next year, will be doing Granite via SW couloir this August.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

White ButteTrip Reports