White Pine Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.55170°N / 111.6561°W
Additional Information Route Type: hike - Scramble - Exposure
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


White Pine Trail Head

Route Description


5,070'± of elevation gain
Trail Mileage = 6.3± miles to peak, this is terrain distance.

Follow the White Pine trail Southwesterly for 1 mile to the junction with Red Pine Lake trail, hook left and follow the old jeep trail for three more miles to White Pine Lake area. From the point where you can first see the lake I found a good spot to start southeast to the top Red Baldy (11,171’ in elevation). At this point you start down climbing (East) to a saddle. It gets a little exposed while down climbing, keep checking your footing and hand holds since this isn’t a well used trail, many rocks are loose and ready to crumble. The down climb takes away about 700’ feet of vertical which at the saddle you get to re-gain it on your way to Red Top Mountain. Continue up the ridgeline to the top of Red Top. At this point most of the hard work is over and it’s a gentle hike down and than up to West twin peak. Continue along the ridge to East Twin peak and than head North down climbing a knife-edge. I followed this to a point where I decided to turn left and follow the drainage line (a scramble) to a bladed road (Road to Provo ski run). You are now on either ski runs or cat tracks for the duration of the hike to the lodge. At the end of the bladed road going west is a hikers path. Follow this path (Last Chance ski run) while is winds through the rocks. You start heading towards a very small pond and just before it turn right and follow this towards the little cloud ski lift (while crossing Mark Malu Fork, and Shireen ski runs). From this point you're now on Regulator Johnson and Regulator Traverse ski run, just keep following this down to the top of Gadzoom and than onto Lunch trail to Mid Gad Lodge. From here follow Big Emma. From this point just follow the cat tracks and ski runs down to the lodge.

Essential Gear


I hiked this solo with no extra gear (8-09-2003)

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.