Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.72552°N / 119.04545°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10009 ft / 3051 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South from White Wing MountainSouth from White Wing Mountain
White Wing Mountain is a long flat-topped volcanic peak 7 miles north of Mammoth Mountain between Glass Creek and Deadman Creek in the Mammoth Lakes area of the Eastern Sierra. It apparently gets it's name because of it's white tefra covered slopes and when seen from the air it is shaped like a giant wing.
MoapaPk has added: "Perhaps the most amazing thing about White Wing is the forest of dead trees on top killed by an eruption of Obsidian Dome 600 years before."
The lower slopes are mostly forested and the upper third is generally sandy. I would imagine that it is mistaken for Mammoth Mountain at times. I know that was the case with me the first few times I saw it while driving by on Hwy. 395.
There is an outstanding panorama of the Mammoth Lakes High Sierra from the top. The view stretches from Mammoth Mountain all the way to Mount Morrison and beyond.

Getting There

Mammoth Lakes, Mammoth Mountain and White Wing Mountain from the Mammoth CrestMammoth Lakes, Mammoth Mtn. and White Wing Mtn. from the Mammoth Crest
From the south: From the junction of Hwy 203 at Mammoth Lakes go north on Hwy. 395 8.5 miles and turn west onto Deadman Road (passable to all cars). Go 1.2 miles to a fork. Continue left at the fork and drive around the southeast side of the mountain 3.5 miles to the southeast slope. Hike north 1 mile with a 1,900' elevation gain up through forest for the first 1,300' then to the summit. This is the shortest route to the top but I am guessing this could very well be a challenging sand slog!
From the northeast: From the junction of Hwy. 203 go north 11 miles on Hwy. 395 to an unnamed road going southwest (passable to all cars). Turn left on the road as it curves to the south (at 1 mile) and meets a dirt road at 1.5 miles. Go south on this road 1.2 miles until it crosses Glass Creek and park at 8,100'. Hike along Glass Creek and up the northeast slope of the mountain 1.2 miles to the rocky northeast summit at 9,901'. This is a considerably sandy slog but not too bad. Continue southwest over the middle hump another mile to the main summit.

Red Tape

Mammoth Lakes Sierra from White Wing MountainMammoth Crest from White Wing Mtn.
This is a day hike in Inyo National Forest and no permits are required.

Camping

Northeast from White Wing MountainNortheast from White Wing Mtn.
Upper Deadman Group Campground: Go 3 miles west from Hwy. 395 on the Deadman Road then north one tenth mile.
Lower Deadman Campground: Same approach as the upper only 1 tenth mile to the south.
White Wing Campground: Take the Deadman Road 1.2 miles to the fork and go right then another immediate right to the campground at .2 miles.
I noticed people camping at the parking area for the northeast approach from Glass Creek when I hiked the northeast summit but there were no established facilities.

Current weather and forecast

South pano from White Wing MountainSouth from White Wing Mtn.
For current weather and forecast for Mammoth Lakes are click here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mammoth Lakes BasinMountains & Rocks