Wildhorse Canyon

Wildhorse Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Wildhorse Canyon - Pioneer Mountains, Idaho

Wildhorse Canyon is most easily approached from the Trail Creek road that leads to the northeast from Highway 75 through Ketchum to Sun Valley, Idaho. The 11 mile drive up to Trail Creek summit offers spectacular views, especially in the fall but be aware that this road closes in winter and can be hazardous in wet or icy conditions. Drive another 10 miles to the Copper Basin junction, turn right and travel 3 miles to the turnoff to Wildhorse Canyon. Follow the improved dirt road past the Wildhorse guard station for 6 miles to the Wildhorse Campground (fee required). You can stay in the campground and walk from here or take your chances driving the primitive road that leads for approximately 5 miles into the canyon (4-wheel drive and high clearance vehicles recommended) to where it ends for good. The road is fairly level and makes for a quick ride on a mountain bike.

Links

Splattski's Trip Report: Mustang and Brocky Peak


Summit Post: Mustang/Howard Peak

Summit Post: Brocky Peak

Red Tape

None at all. Don't be surprised if you find a few hunting camps at the end of the primative road during the fall. This area is open for hunting and fishing and you might get to meet two or three generations of an Idaho family in their seasonal camp if you're not shy about approaching them.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.