Willard Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.38300°N / 111.973°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mostly Trail
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take I-15 exit 364 east on 91 towards the town of Mantua. At a junction, go right and look for the obvious road leading up into the mountains (another right turn). Once on the dirt, it is roughly eight miles to Willard Basin, and two more to Willard Mountain. After about the first three miles, the road is too rough in spots for a passenger car.

Route Description


You have two options. You can start at Willard Basin Campground (roughly 9,000 feet) and hike up a trail that climbs south to the main ridge (the Skyline trail). Alternatively you can drive an extra two miles to the end of the 4WD road to Willard Mountain (elev. 9,422 feet) and hike the trail along the ridge to the east. The two trails meet and the trail continues southeast around Willard Peak. Look for the easiest route and leave the trail, and routefind to the peak. The west facing slopes are steep, but should not present any problems beyond simple class 2 off-trail hiking. From Willard Basin, you can climb both Willard and Ben Lomond in half a day.

Essential Gear


The only essential gear you need for this hike is a high clearance vehicle to make it up the severely beaten road. As of fall 2002, do not even attempt to get a car up this road beyond the first few miles.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
nebben

nebben - Apr 9, 2005 10:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Take the Brigham City exit, and head East through and past the city. Drive through this canyon a bit, and the first town you should come across is Mantua. Turn East into Mantua, and once you hit Main Street, turn right. Main will peter out to the South and turns into gravel towards the mountains. I have a VW Beetle, and I had to stop a few miles up this road when it turned just too rough. I mountain biked the rest. I would guess any high clearance vehicle could make this road.

The road will eventually crest and decend into Willard Basin.

Stansbury

Stansbury - Jul 21, 2009 2:51 am - Hasn't voted

Willard Basin

A little more about this route. After exiting I-15 at exit 364 for Brigham City proceed on East Hwy. 91 for a little over 5 miles and take the Mantua exit. At the first stop sign you're at a "T" and should turn right onto Main St.; zero your odometer here. About a 1/2 mile later you'll see a sign for Willard Basin (11 miles) and Inspiration Point (13 miles). The pavement ends at 1.6 miles and you'll come upon the Dock Flat campground at ~ 2.5 miles. Unless you're in a 4X4 or other high-clearance vehicle this is a good place to stop. Continuing on the dirt road to ~ 7 - 7.1 miles you'll reach a saddle with plenty of parking. The road to the Willard Basin campground and further to Inspiration Point continues to the left and south from the saddle but could only be traveled ~ 1 mile when I was there 7/1/09 due to snow and trees blocking the way.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.