Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.47967°N / 113.74601°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Additional Information Elevation: 10700 ft / 3261 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Wilson Peak sits at the Southwest of the Spanish Peaks Unit of the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. Neighbored by Jumbo, Table, and Gallatin Peak it is probably the most iconic peak that can be viewed from Big Sky.

Unnamed Image
Wilson Peak from Dudley Lake

Getting There

From Bozeman take Huffine Lane to Four Corners and turn left on US HW 191 into Gallatin Canyon and Drive approximately 34 miles before taking a right onto Dudley Creek Road (if you happen to pass Dudley Creek Road the Big Sky Conoco is only another quarter mile down the road). Drive 2 miles down Dudley Creek Rd until you will reach the Dudley Creek Trailhead.

Unnamed Image
Dudley Lake



Route Description

From the trailhead follow the trail about 4.5 miles to Dudley Lake. Sections of the trail are poorly maintained so if you loose the trail simply follow Dudley Creek to Dudley Lake (will not add much time at all). Hike around the South shore of Dudley Lake and then head West about half a mile for the tarn lake in the corner between the North and East ridges of Wilson. Once at the tarn head directly to the corner in between the ridges about 500-600 yards before reaching the base of the Southeast Couloir. From here climb southeast up the couloir. The southeast couloir is a grade of 40-45 degrees. Once you reach the top of the couloir turn right begin scrambling up the south ridge to the summit of Wilson. There will be fair bits of exposure on the ridge line but overall the South Ridge is a Class 3 scramble. Loose scree is obvious but rocks are fairly stable and will make for a fun scramble until reaching the top.


Unnamed Image
Southeast Couloir
North Ridge
South Ridge


Gallatin Peak
Gallatin Peak From Wilson
Lone Peak
Lone Peak from Wilson

Essential Gear

Good footwear is a must. Crampons and an ice axe may be needed depending on the season.

Unnamed Image
On the summit of Wilson

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Madison RangeMountains & Rocks