Winter ascent from Váha

Winter ascent from Váha

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.17452°N / 20.08987°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Winter ascent on Ťažký štít from Chata pod Rysmi. Very nice and short route, when conditions are favourable. Great panoramic view at this part of Tatras. Being at the annual winter camp of my mountaineering club at chata pod Rysmi, which is normally closed during winter period, we used this opportunity to try our luck on this peak.
Ťažký Å¡títŤažký štít from chata pod Rysmi

Getting There

From Popradské pleso follow the marked route to Chata pod Rysmi and from there directly to sedlo Váha.

Route Description

Once being in the pass turn right and climb rock steps to the distinctive ramp and traverse it directly to the place where fixed chain marks the beginning of ascent to Kohútik.
Snow ramp
Snow ramp

Kohútik
Kohútik

They can be buried deep in snow, so you have to look very carefully. From Kohútik continue in the direction of Vysoká and once you pass short traverse turn left and sticking to the walls of Ťažký štít on the left, continue directly to the summit ridge.
Ťažký štít
Ťažký štít

Unfortunately the snow conditions during my visit weren't favourable - wet and slipping snow covering the summit ridge, so we had to turn back from the summit ridge, just few horizontal meters from the summit.

Essential Gear

Winter climbing gear - ice axes, crampons, rope (was used for abseiling from Kohútik, since snow was wet and there was a risk of slipping).

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.