Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 14, 2003
This trip was a combined climb with Naya Kanga and a warm up for a longer trek into the Everest region with a climb of imja Tse. We travelled to Kyanjin via a hired 4 wheel drive for approx $50, well worth it. On arrival we walked for a couple of hours to Lama Hotel in a fantastic sunset evening and spent the night in a small lodge. The next day we walked as far as Ghora Tabela where we again spent the night. On the third and longest day's walking (only 7 hours or so) we arrived at Kyanjin. Day 4 was a rest day before we walked up to set a high camp at Yala Kharka. We rested on day 6 with just a couple of short walks in the deepening snow. Day 7 was summit day which was quite hard going due to the snow conditions. The peak is technically easy, no glaciers/crevasses in the area and the only time we roped up was ascending up a steep snow wall then along a snow ridge to the summit. Conditions on the summit were very cloudy with no views of Shishapangma. We returned in a blizzard and navigation skills were severely tested. After a days rest at Kyanjin the Naya Kanga climb had to be abandoned due to snow conditions. The return trip took three days back to Kathmandu.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Yala PeakTrip Reports