Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.91170°N / 109.5938°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 7730 ft / 2356 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bear Top Mountain is a flat top mesa that rises to the north of Flaming Gorge. With an elevation of 7730 ft, it is Utah’s 1601th highest ranked peak. The top of the mesa creates a plateau 3 miles long by 2 miles wide higher than 7400 ft. The southern and western slopes of the mesa drop very steeply into the waters of Flaming Gorge Reservoir 1400 vertical feet below.

An abandoned dirt road that is now closed to motorized vehicles starts to the north of the mountain and goes up to the top of the plateau where Point 7677 ft can be seen as a small hill. I hiked to the top of 7677 ft and did not see any other spot higher than where I was standing although all maps designate a point with an elevation of 7730 ft at the southwestern edge of the plateau as the true summit.

From Red Canyon Visitor CenterSouth walls of Bear Top Mesa rising above Flaming Gorge Reservoir


Getting There

From the community of Dutch John drive 4.6 miles north on Route 191 past Dutch John Gap to Forest Road 145 on the left (west) side of the road. Drive this well graded dirt road 3.5 miles west to a road on the left (south) that may be marked as Road 088. You can drive a short distance on 088, which is much rougher, but will soon reach a gate that closes the road to motorized vehicles. Park anywhere by the road.


Route

Roundtrip Hiking Distance: 12.2 miles

Hike south on Road 088 going past the gate that closes the road to motorized vehicles. The north slopes of Bear Top Mountain will be in view.

North slopes of Bear Top MesaNorth slopes of Bear Top Mesa


The road turns east and begins to climb the mountain. Flaming Gorge Reservoir and some of the red slopes above it will be visible behind.

Flaming Gorge ReservoirFlaming Gorge Reservoir


You will then reach a 6980 ft high saddle near this cliff.

Near the 6980 ft saddle


A flat area opens up.

Point 7305 ftPoint 7305 ft
Boars TuskBoars Tusk 7694 ft

Above the 6980 ft saddle


For the next 1.25 miles, the road goes up a gentle slope.

Just below the top plateau
Just below the top plateau


Toward the top.

Walls of Flaming Gorge
Near the top plateau


At around 7450 ft, you will reach the top of the mesa where a big plain opens up. Zoomed view of Leidy Peak in the distance.

Leidy Peak and the top plateauLeidy Peak, zoomed view


I left the road and began hiking toward Point 7677 ft 1.5 miles away. I could not see a high point where the USGS Map marks Point 7730 ft.

Point 7677 ftPoint 7677 ft


Views from the top of Point 7677 ft.

Flaming Gorge Reservoir
Flaming Gorge Reservoir
Flaming Gorge Reservoir
Flaming Gorge Reservoir


Kept looking for Point 7730 ft but just could not find a spot higher than where I was on top of Point 7677 ft. Maybe an optical illusion.

Looking toward Point 7730 ftLooking toward Point 7730 ft

Red Tape

No fees or permits required.

When to Climb

Spring, summer, fall.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Uinta MountainsMountains & Rocks