Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 40.91510°N / 109.4213°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6000 ft / 1829 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Flaming Gorge has been carved by Green River in the northeastern corner of Utah near the border with Wyoming. The famous explorer John Wesley Powell gave the gorge its name because of the flaming red color of some of its walls. In 1869, Powell and 9 other men went on a 3 month long journey of exploration boating down Green and then Colorado Rivers becoming the first non-Native Americans to go through the depths of Grand Canyon.

Flaming Gorge Dam was completed in 1962 creating Flaming Gorge Reservoir which sits at an elevation of 6040 ft. The walls of the gorge, at their highest points, rise up to the mid and upper 7000 ft range. Flaming Gorge is a popular boating and fishing destination. A network of trails can provide the hiker with fantastic views of the reservoir as well as the canyons, mountains and the forests of the area.

Flaming Gorger Reservoir

Getting There

From Vernal, UT, drive 42 miles north on Route 191 to reach Flaming Gorge Dam. From Rock Springs, WY, drive 69 miles south on Route 191.

Flaming Gorger Reservoir

Red Tape

Most hikes do not requires any fees or permits (see individual hikes). Other activities (boating, fishing etc.) may require fees and licenses.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.