Little Hole Trail (Green River Canyon)

Little Hole Trail (Green River Canyon)

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 40.90850°N / 109.4221°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This trail starts at the base of Flaming Gorge Dam and follows the north bank of Green River at the bottom of the canyon 9 miles downstream to a place called Little Hole where the canyon opens up. Along the trail, you will encounter many boardwalks and pathways created with crushed rock. You are likely to see many anglers on the river and few if any hikers on the trail.

Caution: At times of high water, parts of the trail may be under water. Check at the Visitor Center.

Getting There

Trailhead at the dam:
From Vernal, UT, drive 42 miles north on Route 191 to reach Flaming Gorge Dam. Cross over the dam and go a short distance to see a road on the right side that meanders down the slopes to reach the river. Parking lots are 150 vertical feet above the river. The trail will take you down to the river. You must pay to park here.

Little Hole Trailhead:
Continue north on 191 three miles beyond the dam to the community of Dutch John and turn right onto Little Hole Road (Road 075). Go 6 miles to the end of the road at the river. You must pay to park here.



Route

Little Hole Trailhead Elevation: 5550 ft
Flaming Gorge Dam Trailhead (at the river): 5640 ft
One Way Hiking Distance: 8.8 miles (sign on the trail says 7 miles)


This is a description of the hike from Little Hole to Flaming Gorge Dam.

Go to the west end of the parking area at Little Hole and get on the trail following the river west. Hills rise above the river on both sides.

Little Hole Trailhead
Sunrise at Little Hole Trailhead


Boardwalk.

Boardwalk on the trail


After about 1.5 miles, a canyon with steep walls begins to form.

Start of the tight canyon


Entering the canyon.

Narrow part of the canyon


Walking through the canyon.

Narrow part of canyon
Green River Canyon
Green River Canyon
Green River Canyon

Green River Canyon


For a while, the trail climbs 100 ft or so up the wall of the canyon.

Trail high above the river
Green River Canyon
Green River Canyon
Green River Canyon


Coming back to the level of the river.

Green River Canyon
Boardwalk
Green River Canyon
Green River Canyon


The canyon opens up again.

Green River Canyon
Green River Canyon
Boardwalk
Green River Canyon


Near the dam.

Green River Canyon


Flaming Gorge Dam.

Flaming Gorge Dam


You will then have to follow the trail 150 vertical feet up to reach the parking area.

Trailhead at the dam
Trail descending from the parking to the dam


Red Tape

No fees or permits required for hiking but you have to pay at the parking areas. Pay the attendant or self pay.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.