Brins Mesa Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.88813°N / 111.76852°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Brins Mesa is a small plateau that sits at an elevation of 4900-5100 ft to the north of Sedona, AZ. A trail starts at the end of Jordan Road in Sedona and heads north going up 600 vertical feet to reach the surface of the mesa. The trail then continues northwest over the surface of the mesa to reach the junction with Soldier Pass Trail. Beyond the junction, Brins Mesa Trail descends into a drainage and goes down to end at Dry Creek Road (said to be a very rough dirt road).

From the surface of Brins Mesa, you can look south to see the city of Sedona. To the east, the walls of Wilson Mountain can be seen rising abruptly above the mesa.

A spur trail takes you to the southeastern edge of the mesa where you can have great views of Mormon Canyon sitting at the base of Wilson Mountain and Brins Mesa.

Getting There

From the intersections of Route 89A and 179 (The “Y”) in Sedona, drive a short distance north on 89A to Jordan Rd. Turn left on Jordan Rd and drive to the end of it. Turn left on West Park Ridge Drive and go a short distance to the end of the neighborhood and then on a well graded dirt road to reach a trailhead common to many trails. You will see the signs for Brins Mesa Trail on the left (west side).

Route Description

Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
4520 ft
zero miles
Mesa Top
5120 ft
1.3 miles
Soldier Pass Jct.
4940 ft
0.7 miles
Dry Creek Rd.
4650 ft
1.8 miles


Go to the west side of the trailhead and see the sign for Brins Mesa Trail. You will have great views of two very impressive spires known as Morning Glory Spire (The Sphinx) and Cibola Mitten.





Morning Glory Spire & Cibola Mitten
(L) Morning Glory Spire, (R) Cibola Mitten


Follow the trail uphill through the juniper forest. To the east, you can see Steamboat Rock and the walls of Wilson Mountain.







The westerns walls of Wilson Mountain
Wilson Mountain
Steamboat Rock
Steamboat Rock
Point 5667 ft
Point 5667 ft


After 1.3 miles, the trail suddenly reaches the top of Brins Mesa. An unmarked spur trail on the right side, can take you half a mile east to the edge of the mesa where you will have good views of Mormon Canyon.









Mormon Canyon
Mormon Canyon
Mormon Canyon
Mormon Canyon
Mormon Canyon/Wilson Mountain
Mormon Canyon


Sedona from Brins Mesa.





Sedona
Sedona


Go back to the main trail and continue it northwest over the surface of the mesa. You will have good views of Capitol Butte, Secret Mountain and many other rocks/spires. Much of the forest on the surface of the mesa has burned in the great wildfires of 2006.
















Points 5906 ft & 5689 ft
Points 5906 ft & 5689 ft
Brins Mesa
Brins Mesa
Brins Mesa
Brins Mesa
Point 5502 ft
Point 5502 ft
Secret Mountain
Secret Mountain
Capitol Butte
Capitol Butte


Essential Gear

Hiking equipment.

Weather

See the forecast for the town of Sedona, AZ.

Red Tape

You will need a Red Rock Parking Pass. See the link below:

http://www.redrockcountry.org/passes-and-permits/where-to-purchase.shtml

External Links

http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/Brins%20Mesa/brinsmesa.html.