Grand Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.96586°N / 101.67281°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an 11.5 mile long loop hike that combines the following four trails:

Givens, Spicer, Lowry Trail
A 3.1 mile long trail that goes from the park road to the junction with Lighthouse Trail (1.3 miles from The Lighthouse). The trail follows the base of the colorful walls of the canyon providing you with spectacular views.

Little Fox Canyon Trail
This trail branches off of GSL Trail half a mile from its junction with Lighthouse Trail. It goes into a side valley known as Little Fox Canyon where it dead ends (actually makes a small loop at the end). Roundtrip is 2.6 miles.

Lighthouse Trail
Lighthouse Trail is the most popular Trail in the park. It is 3.1 miles long and takes you from the park road to the big hoodoo known as The Lighthouse.
For more info, see this Summitpost page: Lighthouse Loop.

Paseo del Rio Trail
1.1 miles long trail sandwiched between the park road and the river going from near Lighthouse Trailhead to near GSL Trailhead.



Getting There

Trailheads for GSL, Lighthouse and Paseo del Rio are well marked on the park road. See map below.


Givens, Spicer, Lowry Trail

From the trailhead on park road, follow trail at the base of the steep colorful slopes on the periphery of a plain known as Sunday Flats to reach Lighthouse Trail.

On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail
On GSL Trail

Little Fox Canyon Trail

The junction of GSL and Little Fox Canyon is near a formation called Devil's Tombstone.

Devils TombstoneDevils Tombstone


Head northwest following the trail into the wide open Little Fox Canyon.

On Little Fox Canyon Trail
On Little Fox Canyon


You will soon see a sign identifying a little hill as Petite Teton.

Petite TetonPetite Teton


A short spur trail will take to a bench and memorial plaque on top of the hill. Views from top.

From the top of Petite Teton
From the top of Petite Teton


Return to the main trail where you will soon reach a split. Go either way to make a small loop and return the other way (see map). You can then retrace your path to GSL Trail.

On Little Fox Canyon Trail

Lighthouse Trail

The junction of GSL and Lighthouse Trail sits at a spot 1.3 miles from the Lighthouse and 1.8 miles from the park road. Turn right (southwest) and follow the trail toward the Lighthouse which will soon come to view.

The LighthouseThe Lighthouse
On Lighthouse Trail


One mile after the junction you will reach a sign announcing the end of the trail. At this point you do not have a view of the lighthouse. Go up a well beaten steep gully on the left side of the trail.

End of trailGully to The Lighthouse


The lighthouse will appear again.

The LighthouseThe Lighthouse


Looking back at the canyon.

Looking at the canyon from near the base of Lighthouse


Go up the slope to reach the base of the lighthouse.

The LighthouseThe Lighthouse
The LighthouseThe Lighthouse


You will then follow the Lighthouse Trail back beyond the junction with GSL Trail to reach the park road. You will get to see Capitol Peak.

On Lighthouse Trail
On Lighthouse Trail
Capitol PeakCapitol Peak
On Lighthouse Trail
Slopes of Capitol Peak
Capitol PeakCapitol Peak

Paseo del Rio Trail

At Lighthouse Trailhead, you must go to the park road, turn north and hike the bridge over the river.
Capitol Peak from the bridge.

Capitol PeakCapitol Peak


Paseo del Rio Trailhead will be seen just to the north of the bridge. The trail takes you through a beautiful riparian environment.

On Paseo del Rio Trail


A sign identifies this pile of rock as SHAL-A-KO Rainmaker.

Shal-a-koSHAL-A-KO Rainmaker


Cowboy dugout.

Cowboy Dugout


At the end of the trail, you should get on the park road and follow a second bridge over the river to reach GSL Trailhead.
Wild turkeys at the trailhead.

Wild birds at GSL TrailheadWild birds at GSL Trailhead


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.