Hinterer Spiegelkogel

Hinterer Spiegelkogel

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.82905°N / 10.95869°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11240 ft / 3426 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Hinterer Spiegelkogel is part of the Main ridge of the the Ötztaler Alps. To be more precisely it is located central on the Ramolridge. The ridge that start south of the village Zwieselstein and ends and the Karlesspitze on the border between Austria and Italy.

The Spiegelkogel consists of three mountains. The Vordere, Mittlere and the Hinterer Spiegelkogel. The all are located from west to east.

The mountain is not very often climbed. This because of it's more famous neighbours the Ramolkogel and the Schalfkogel are more populair by climbers. Although the Hinterer Spiegelkogel is worth climbing and not very difficult. Especially if you planning on going from the Ramol Hut towards Vent. Also the north face of the mountain is a fine goal if are a beginner on north faces.

The mountain was climbed for the first time by the famous Franz Senn and his companions V. von Mayrl, J. Schöpf and J. Gstrein in 1870.
Hinterer Spiegelkogel (3426m) AlpenglowHinterer Spiegelkogel

Getting There

In general:

# From Austria (Innvalley): On the Inntalautobahn A12 take the driveway Ötztal. All the way through the Ötztal B186 to Obergurgl (about 50km).
# From Italy (Meran): take road to the Passeier Valley (SS44). Follow it untill St. Leonard. There take the Timmelsjoch road (SS44 BIS) and cross the border. Descent on the Austrian side and take the driveway to Obergurgl (L15). (Tol Road, see this page)

To the Ramol Hut:

You reach the hut from Obergurgl (1910m) in Ötztal on the marked hiking way no. 902 in 3,5 - 4 h. This ascent is pretty hot in the summer months and therefore it is good to take your time for the way up. The path is wide and not very steep. You can follow it from the village all the way to the hut.

Routes

Normal route from the Ramol Hut

There are two ways to climb the Hinterer Spiegelkogel from the Ramol Hut. The best way is to go to the Ramol pass. From the pass you have to follow the northeast ridge (snow and easy climbing passages) that leads to the summit.

Alpine climbing grade: L, I, 2-3 hours from the Ramol hut.

Alternatives:

# East flank: L+, I-II, 2 hours from the Ramol hut.
# South ridge: WS+, II-III, 3 hours from the Ramol hut.
# Traverse from the Hinterer to the Mittlerer Spiegelkogel: ZS-, III, 1 hour from the Hinterer to the Mittlerer summit.
# North face: ZS, short ice face 50°, 3 hours from the Ramol hut.
In the North FaceClimbing in the north face

Maps and Guidebook

Maps:

# Ötztaler Alpen, Gurgl, Alpenvereinskarte 30/1
1:25000
# Inneres Ötztal-Gurgler Tal - Venter Tal - Pitztal, Kompass Map WK042
1:25.000
# Ötztaler Alpen, Kompass Map WK43
1:50000

Guidebook:

# Walter Klier, Ötztaler Alpen. Alpenvereinsführer. 14th ed. Munich 2006.
ISBN 978-3-7633-1123-1

External Links

# Digital map:
www.austrianmap.at

# The village Obergurgl:
www.obergurgl.com

# The Ramol hut:
www.oetztal.net

# Weather in Austria:
www.oeav.at

# Avalance bulletin Tirol:
www.lawine.at

# Timmelsjoch road:
www.timmelsjoch-hochalpenstrasse.at

# Time Tabel bus:
www.postbus.at

# Public Transport (train):
www.oebb.at

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ötztaler HauptkammMountains & Rocks