Hangerer

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.83545°N / 11.01796°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9911 ft / 3021 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Hangerer is located on the main ridge area of the ötztaler Alps. The mountain lies in a part of the Main ridge that is called the Gurgler ridge, named after the villages in the valley. This ridge is bordered by the Hochwilde(southside) and the Timmelsjoch road at his north side. The mountain lies just northwest of the Mittlerer Seelenkogel.

The Hangerer is pretty often climbed from Obergurgl. The more than 3000 meters high summit can be easily reached on a well marked path. The normal route requires some scrambling but doesn't contain any climbing passeges. Be awere of the fact that the summit is pretty high. So bad weather or fresh snow can make the hike more difficult. The summit has a large summitcross and offers a beautiful view towards the ötztaler Alps.
hangerer from the Hohe Mutte,...The Hangerer covered with snow.

Getting There

To Obergurgl (Ötztal valley)

By car
* From the north:
From Germany the easiest way to reach the Ötztal valley is to take the Inntal Highway(A12). Take driveway 123 (Ötztal) on the Inntal Highway and follow the B186 untill you reach Untergurgl. From there take the first road right to Obergurgl.
* From the south:
Here the easiest access is the Brenner Motorway, A22. Take it from Verona through Trento and Bolzano, cross the Brenner Pass and head down into the Inn Valley until you reach Innsbruck. Here turn westward on A12 and take the driveway 123 (Ötztal). Then the same as above.
Another acces follows the Timmelsjoch road (Toll road!). This is a small mountain road that goes from St. Leonhard in the Passeier valley. From here follow road SS44bis untill you reach the Timmeljoch (border Italy-Austria). Go down to Hochgurgl and then take the first road left to Obergurgl.

With public transport
* Take the train to Ötztal/Bahnhof. From there with the Bus to Obergurgl.

To the Langtalereckhütte / Karlsruherhütte 2430m.


Langtalereckhütte


Ward: Georg Gufler
Telephone Hut: 0043 664 5268655
Fax: 0043 664 5271707

Getting there:

From Obergurgl in the Ötztal (1907m). Follow route 922 through the Zirbenwald and pass the Rotmooswasserfall and Schönwieskopf to the hut. It is a large path wich also can be done with a mountainbike. The hut lies on the Langtaler Eck in the Gurgltal, at the beginning of the Langtal.

Time: 2 - 2.5 hours from Obergurgl to the hut.

Routes

Normalroute from Obergurgl:

To the Schönwieshütte the route predominantly follows a wide forest street through the skiing area of Obergurgl. A part of the route could be overcome alternatively with the new cable car. From the Schönwieshütte, you'll have to change on a narrow path that leads to the summit. The higher you'll get the more demanding the climb is, but it doesn't contain any climbing passages. After fresh snow the way can be more difficult. Under normal circumstances the climb is pretty easy and very well marked. Descent along the same route.

Starting point and parking: Obergurgl (1907 m)
Highest point: summit of the Hangerer (3021 m)
Height gain: 1114 m
Time: to the Schönwieshütte 1 hour, from the hut to the summit about 2 hours. Total: 3 hours.
Routenumbers: routenumber 922 to the Schönwieshütte and route number 32 to the summit of the Hangerer (T3).



South-ridge from the Langtalereckhütte:

A more difficult and interesting route to the summit is the South-ridge. The route starts from the Langtalereckhütte. From the hut you'll have to go down to Obergurgl for about 5 minutes. Then climb east on some old tracks in the gras (ask at the hut). Go on for about 150 meters and you'll reach a large grassplateau. Head north to reach the äuseres hochebenkar. This is an old glacier wich is completely covered with rocks! Ascent towards the pass between the Hangerer and the Hochebenkamm (the last part can be tricky, loose rock!). Here starts the south-ridge. Climb directly along the ridge to reach the summit. First more difficult (II+), later easier(I).

Starting point: Langtalereckhütte(2430 m)
Highest point: summit of the Hangerer (3021 m)
Height gain: 591 m
Time: to the pass 2 hours, the pass to the summit about 1 hour. Total: 3 hours.
Alpine climbing grade: WS-/PD- (I-II+)
On the South-ridge of the HangererAt the start of the South-ridge.

Maps and Guidebooks

Maps:

* Freytag & Berndt B 251, Ötztal-Pitztal-Kaunertal-Wildspitze, 1:50.000, EAN: 9783850847544
* Kompass 43, Ötztaler Alpen, 1:50.000, ISBN: 978-3-85491-049-7
* Alpenvereinskarte 30/1, Ötztaler Alpen - Gurgl, 1:25.000

Guidebooks:

* Kompass WB 902, Ötztal-Pitztal, ISBN: 9783854912880
* Rother Wanderführer, Ötztaler Alpen-Stubaier Alpen, ISBN 978-3-7633-4094-1

To order Kompass maps or guidebooks: www.kompass.at
To order Freytag & Berndt maps: www.freytagberndt.at
To order the Rother Wanderführer: www.rother.de
To order Alpenvereinskarte: www.alpenverein.at

External Links

* Weather forecast
* Avalance Bulletin
* Time Table Bus
* Time Table Train

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ötztaler HauptkammMountains & Rocks