Jebel Assat

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.42482°N / 4.61356°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8602 ft / 2622 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jebel Assat is a subsidiary peak in the Tichoukt Massif. However, when you approach it from the North it has a degree of grandure and remoteness that the main summit does not offer. Grey and ornage limestone cliff bands with hanging balconies of majestic Atlas Cedar force you to trek deep into the valley before finding gentler talus slopes to work your way to the summit. 3rd class scrambling required to gain the summit from the North. There is a beautiful fresh water spring just outside the oak forest in this hidden valley where you can camp if you want to make this a multiday venture. 

Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
Unnamed Image
20190802_070147
20190802_070147

Getting There

BOULMANE (southwest of the Massif)

From Fes, take R503 south through the city of Sefrou all the way to Boulmane. You can get a Grand Taxi from Fes to Sefrou (by the Winxo Gas Station at the beginning of Route de Sefrou) changing taxi's there to continue on to Boulmane. From Boulmane take P5105 West toward Skoura M'dez until the forestry track access at 33°28'23.2"N 4°36'53.2 W

SKOURA M'DEZ (northeast of the Massif):

Alternatively, particularly if it has snowed recently, access is more likely from the northeastern town of Skoura. Take R503 from Fes, south to Sefrou. From there follow R504 east for 5 kilometers before heading south on P5033, east on P5016, south on P5105. Or, better yet, just look for directions on Google maps here. Again, you can also take a Grand Taxi from Fes to Sefrou and from Sefrou to Skoura. From Skoura, hitch a ride or walk West along P5105 to the forestry track access at 33°28'23.2"N 4°36'53.2 W (about 10 km depending on where you get out of the Grand Taxi.

Route

From the end of the forestry road mentioned above descend into the riverbed (most likely it will be dry). From the freshwater spring cut through the Oak forest band with thick underbrush. Stay climbers right traversing up talus slopes. From the saddle head South, picking the path of least resistance up the final rocky outcroppings.

20190804_153832
20190804_153832

 

Red Tape

The Massif does have some form of conservation status however there are no fees for accessing the area.

When to Climb

Fall, Winter and Spring

Camping

As of 2019, camping in the wild can be unpredictable in Morocco in terms of authorization. If a Moroccan sees a foreigner setting up camp they will probably call their local representative (the Muqadam) who will almost surely come to your site and at the very least, take your details, including a photo of your passport or require you to return with them to camp in the vicinity of their house under a streetlamp. Their intentions are good and they desire only the best security for travelers. It is best to get permission from the Gendarmerie in Boulmane or Skoura who will probably require you to contract a licensed mountain guide. If you speak Darija, the local dialect of Arabic, you may be able to get permission from the local representative to camp up in the mountains if you convince them of your competence in the mountains.

External Links

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Middle AtlasMountains & Rocks