F6

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title F6
Manufacturer Nikon
Page By pfginsr
Page Type Jul 27, 2005 / Jul 27, 2005
Object ID 1376
Hits 3999
Vote
The Nikon F6 is Nikon's flagship film camera that includes the latest Nikon advances such as the 11-area AF system for exceptionally high-speed autofocus operation with outstanding accuracy, and the Creative Lighting System for incomparable flash photography. And Nikon's proprietary 3D Color Matrix Metering system has been further refined for improved accuracy in scene reading.



The F6 offers a variety of exciting, innovative control options such as a customizable function button, built-in data back functions and shooting data memory. You can also enjoy the convenience and versatility afforded by 41 Custom Settings which allow you to fine-tune the F6 to suit your individual shooting preferences and requirements.



Key Features:



• Metering System



Exposure Metering System includes 3D Color Matrix metering with improved algorithm, a flexible Center Weighted metering and Spot metering corresponding to any of the 11 selected focus areas



• Improved AF



Autofocus system includes Multi-CAM 2000 AF Sensor Module, with advanced high-speed, high-precision 11-area AF system with 9 cross-type AF sensors. Also includes four AF Area Modes such as Single Area AF, Dynamic AF with Focus Tracking and Lock-On®, Closest Subject Priority Dynamic AF and Group Dynamic AF



• Creative Lighting System



Includes i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash (with i-TTL capable flashes), Wireless Advance Lighting capability and AUTO FP High-Speed Sync capability up to 1/8000 second



• Custom Settings



41 Custom Settings allow you to fine-tune the F6 to suit your individual shooting preferences and requirements



• Two-Button Reset



Pressing down two buttons simultaneously and holding them for more than 2 seconds resets various settings to their original default settings (with some exceptions)



• High-Precision Shutter



Created from cutting-edge materials - DuPont™ KEVLAR® and a special aluminum alloy - the blades of the shutter unit offer unparalleled reliability and are extremely lightweight for lightning-quick movement



• Data Back Functions



Selectable functions include: data imprint (in-frame or between frame), multiple exposure, and interval timer. Recorded data can be downloaded to a computer as text data via optional Data Reader MV-1.



• Extremely Quiet



The shutter unit, aperture control mechanics and shutter charge motor each feature a floating-type design to suppress internal vibrations and to provide near-silent operation



• Stylish, High-Durability Design



Aluminum-alloy die-cast chassis, magnesium-alloy front body and covers (top, bottom), enhanced resistance to rain and dust, aluminum-alloy back body and camera back combine to optimize reliability



Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

pfginsr - Jul 27, 2005 2:41 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I purchased a Nikon F6 about 3 months ago and have been thoroughly impressed with this camera while using it in the backcountry. Although my digital friends thought I was crazy to purchase a film camera over a digital.

I shoot both film and digital. I find both of them to be media that have their own use for different circumstances. I wanted a professional level camera and could not justify the weight or the cost of a professional level digital (D2X) SLR.

The F6 is without a doubt the finest 35mm film SLR ever made. It may turn out to be the last 35mm film SLR ever made.

Although a little heavy to lug around, without a doubt the durability of this camera is outstanding. The body is extremely well-built and moisture proof. It will take a pounding if necessary.

The ergonomics of the camera are great. It just feels so comfortable in your hand. All of the controls are in just the right places. When you put it in your hand you won't want to put it down.

The metering on this camera is probably the best of any camera ever made. Now standard on all of Nikons professional level cameras the 3D Color Matrix Metering is incredible. I have had several difficult metering situations where the metering system has just nailed the exposure. Under snow conditions I have found I still have to overexpose about 2/3 of an f stop, but for 95% of the lighting conditions you come across this camera will get the exposure absolutely correct.

The autofocus system is outstanding. With Nikon AFS level lenses you will not experience any searching or wandering of the autofocus system. The autofocus system has 9 focus sensors that you view in your viewfinder, you can toggle between what sensor you want to use with a touch pad in the back of the camera. This feature is one of the best features of this camera as you can easily select what you want your main focus point to be.

The viewfinder is bright and gives 100% view, what you see is what you get. The information provided to you in the viewfinder is well designed and easy to read.

The camera has a built in data back that will store a lot of data on your shooting. With an accesory you can download that data onto a compact flash, it creates a text file of your data that you can then load into a spreadsheet to review your shooting data. Very handy feature if you like to track your exposure data or a history of your shooting.

This camera is expensive, but it is a professional level camera. It will holds its investment value and may increase in value as it becomes the last great film SLR!

This camera is outstanding and is truly a pleasure to shoot with.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1