N80

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title N80
Manufacturer Nikon
Page By aardwulf
Page Type Jan 15, 2003 / Jan 15, 2003
Object ID 623
Hits 3988
Vote
Command and Control - Efficient and logical controls include Nikon Dual Command Dials for optimum control. Complete operational information provided through LCD and High Eyepoint Viewfinder.

Fast and Intelligent AF Performance - Full time AF operation with every AF Nikkor lens. Closest Subject Priority automatically selects corresponding AF sensors.

Focus Tracking with Lock-On (TM) - At up to 2.5 frames per second.

Five Full Coverage AF Sensors - Innovative autofocus system features five separate AF detection sensors that cover the top, bottom, center, left and right for instinctual composition.

New Vari-Brite AF Sensor System - AF sensors automatically change color and intensity from Black to Red in low light.

Exclusive On Demand Composition Assist Focusing Screen - Provides instant reference for the classic rules-of-composition.

Comprehensive Light Metering System - 10-segment 3D Matrix Metering supported by Nikons on board DataBase of over 30,000 stored images plus 75/25 Center Weighted and five Spot meters corresponding to AF sensors

Built-in Powerful Speedlight with 28mm Wide Angle Coverage - Comprehensive features includes Slow Sync, Rear Sync, Red-Eye Reduction/Slow Sync and Flash Compensation from +1 to 3EV in 1/2 EV Steps.

Flash System - 5 Segment TTL Flash Sensors and 3D Multi-sensor Balanced Fill Flash System

Wide Shutter Speed Range and Extensive Shooting Modes - Shutter Speeds from 30 Seconds to 1/4000 in 1/2 EV Steps plus, Program, Flexible Program, Shutter & Aperture Priority and Manual Mode

Other Controls Include - All-mode Depth-of-Field Preview Button, Multiple Exposure Control, AF Assist Illuminator for low light shooting, and a threaded cable release socket. 18 Built-in Custom Settings

Lens Mount - F Bayonet lens mount accepts every AF Nikkor and most manual AI or AI-S Nikkor lenses. * Some limitations; see chart on p. 12 of N80 brochure

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

aardwulf - Jan 15, 2003 8:02 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have owned the N80 for two and a half years now, and I absolutly love it. I have a standard Nikon 24mm-80mm zoom lens which works pretty well. This camera is relatively lightweight, even with the 2 batteries, and a breeze to use. It can be set to completely dummy proof, or completely customizable. Takes consistently great pictures. This camera is fairly rugged. I have taken it on hiking trips, to the beach, and in hot and cold weather, and the pictures always turn out well, and I have never gotten it too dirty to clean up with a soft brush.

The N80 has a lot of small features that add a lot to the functionality and end results of the picture, such as 5 focal points, an available viewfinder grid that makes lining up the subject a cinch, and several metering options.

If you can afford it, I would recommend the Tamron 28-200 mm lens. For a 200mm zoom lens, it is incredibly small, and fairly lightweight (12 oz). It is about the same price as the body of the camera, however. Unfortunately I don't own one, I have just used one.

Rob Salas - Jul 19, 2003 11:30 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Found in the middle of the pack of Nikon's newest line of camera bodies, which include the N55, N65, F100 and the F5, the N80 is a great value for it's price range. If the F5 were a Ferrari 360 Modena- fast, nimble, high-performing, the N80 would be Honda S2000- civilized, quick and sturdy, but with some white-knuckle performance behind it, whereas the N55 would be Kia Rio- no bells and whistles, but still reliable to get the job done.

All of the features are very easy to use and controls are placed well to enable you to change focus or metering modes without taking your eye away from the viewfinder. My favorite feature of this camera is the "command dials", located by your right thumb and forefinger, that allow for easy shifting of shutter speed and aperture. With 3 metering modes, you can leave your gray card at home and still get the exposure you want/need. The autofocus is quick, the shutter speeds cover a wide range and the on-camera flash handles fill-in and motion-stop well.

Rugged, but light, this camera is perfect for climbers/hikers that insist on having an SLR camera versus a point-and-shoot. I have 2 lenses for my N80, a Tamron 28-80mm 3.5-4.5 and a Tamron 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 Macro. I find that this combination works well for me, since I only have to carry little else to get the shot I want. If you can afford it, I recommend Tamron's 28-300mm XR lens. It's about the cost of the N80 body, but it's versatility, light weight, and compact design are great to help keep your pack weighing it's lightest without having to sacrifice that once-in-a-lifetime shot because you didn't have the right lens.

In my humble opinion, the N80 is the best value on the market when comparing it to like models by Pentax, Cannon and Minolta, packed with features that will take your photos to the next level without breaking the bank.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2