Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.65990°N / 7.28932°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8737 ft / 2663 m
Sign the Climber's Log

        La montagna chiama i suoi figli, ed essi rispondono fedelmente al suo appello…

                                                                                           Osvaldo Cardellina, Diario alpinistico, 1964-65

Page texts: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", passed away on May 2, 2022. Page owners: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Any updates from September 12, 2022: Antonio Giani, page administrator, friend and climbing companion.

Testi della pagina: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", scomparso il 2 maggio 2022. Proprietari pagina: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Eventuali aggiornamenti dal 12 settembre 2022: Antonio Giani, amministratore della pagina, amico e compagno di salite.

Overview

 
 
This small Summit is located amidst Punta de la Pierre (2.553m) Pointe du Couìss (2.661m) between the "lower" Val de Cogne and the "Conca"/Basin of Pila. This long spur takes beginning, after the Punta della Valletta (3.090m), from the Hill of Tsa Setze or Chasèche (2.820m), real input port between the Valley of Cogne (Vallon of Arpisson) and Pila Basin in the Municipality of Gressan. This divide between the Central Valley of Baltea and Grand'Eyvia (Big Water) form the for the route the Punta Tsa Sètze (2.826m), the Tip Mompers (2.793m), the "Piatta" (Flat Plateform) of Grevon (2.756m), the Punta del Couis or Couìss (2.661m) to reach the Colle and Punta of Drinc, also known as Drink (2.555m, 2.663m), and finally die out with the Col de la Pierre and Punta same name (about 2.600 metres, 2.653m) above Gressan, Jovençan and Aymavilles Municipalities. Like nearby Punta del Couis ("Top of the Blizzard") was also known as Pic de la Tombe, from the name of the small and hemi abandoned valley just South after the great overlying rocky cliffs drops the Vieyes Village, last Aymavilles before Cogne. His pass was also visited by the Princess of Piedmont during the month of August 1941 reached him in the company of little Princes during his campaign mountaineering in the Valley of Aosta, a few days before, he had seen reach Becca di Nona (3.142m). Hiking very busy in the years before the laying of some repeaters around Summit (1960?) Is today a transit point along "Pano Via" equipped by 2000 and then linked in 2003 with the "Via Ferrata" on the Crest Southwest of Punta della Valletta. Reached also through the practice of the Ski-Mountaineering, although much less than neighboring Punta de la Pierre (usually from Ozein for the Northern slope) and Punta del Couis at which it was rebuilt by the Company Pila SpA Refuge Simone Facchinello "Arno" (2.660 metres; always open but without any equipment for the night and even for the kitchen), above the perimeter ruins of an old shelter used by skiers of Aosta in the Fifties. Around the ridge "grandiose" views of the bottom of the Cogne Valley and the Conca or Basin of Pila on which dominate Grand Nomenon, Grivola (3.969m), Punta Rossa, Pointe du Pousset, Pic Garin and Monte Emilius. But if you its true lovers & love the particular features, the view stretched over the steeples of Aosta, Vieyes and, just down below in distance, towards Cogne ...
Questa piccola vetta si trova tra Punta de la Pierre (2.553 m) Pointe du Couìss (2.661 m) tra la "bassa" Val de Cogne e la "Conca"/Bacino di Pila. Questo lungo sperone prende inizio, dopo la Punta della Valletta (3.090 m), dal Colle di Tsa Setze o Chasèche (2.820 m), vero e proprio porto di ingresso tra la Valle di Cogne (Vallone d'Arpisson) e la Conca di Pila nel Comune di Gressan . Questo spartiacque tra la Valle Centrale della Baltea e la Grand'Eyvia (Big Water) formano per il percorso la Punta Tsa Sètze (2.826 m), il Tip Mompers (2.793 m), la "Piatta" di Grevon (2.756 m), la Punta del Couis o Couìss (2.661 m) per raggiungere il Colle e la Punta del Drinc, detta anche Bevanda (2.555 m, 2.663 m), e infine estinguersi con il Col de la Pierre e la Punta omonima (circa 2.600 metri, 2.653 m) sopra i Comuni di Gressan, Jovençan e Aymavilles. Come la vicina Punta del Couis ("Cima della Blizzard") era anche conosciuta come Pic de la Tombe, dal nome della piccola valle semi abbandonata appena a sud dopo che le grandi scogliere rocciose sovrastanti fanno cadere il villaggio di Vieyes, l'ultima Aymavilles prima di Cogne. Il suo valico fu visitato anche dalla Principessa di Piemonte nel mese di agosto 1941 lo raggiunse in compagnia di piccoli Principi durante la sua campagna alpinistica in Valle d'Aosta, che pochi giorni prima aveva visto raggiungere la Becca di Nona (3.142 m) . Escursionismo molto frequentato negli anni precedenti la posa di alcuni ripetitori attorno alla Cima (1960?) è oggi un punto di transito lungo la "Via Pano" attrezzata dal 2000 e poi collegata nel 2003 con la "Via Ferrata" sulla Cresta a Sudovest di Punta della Valletta . Raggiungibile anche attraverso la pratica dello Sci-Alpinismo, seppur molto meno delle vicine Punta de la Pierre (solitamente da Ozein per il versante Nord) e Punta del Couis presso la quale è stato ricostruito dalla Compagnia Pila SpA Rifugio Simone Facchinello "Arno" (2.660 metri; sempre aperto ma senza alcuna attrezzatura per la notte e anche per la cucina), sopra i ruderi perimetrali di un vecchio rifugio utilizzato dagli sciatori aostani negli anni Cinquanta. Intorno al crinale "grandiose" vedute del fondovalle di Cogne e della Conca o Bacino di Pila su cui dominano Grand Nomenon, Grivola (3.969 m), Punta Rossa, Pointe du Pousset, Pic Garin e Monte Emilius. Ma se ne siete veri amanti e ne amate le particolarità, la vista spaziava sui campanili di Aosta, Vieyes e, poco più in basso, in lontananza, verso Cogne...
 

Getting There

BY CAR:

  • From Torino, Milano, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at Aosta Est.
  • From Switzerland: through the Grand Saint Bernard Tunnel or the namesake Pass.
  • From France: through Mont Blanc Tunnel or Petit Saint Bernard Pass. It isn't necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on SS.26, in the direction of Aosta.

BY PLANE:

  • Aeroporto "Corrado Gex"; Saint Christophe (Aosta).

Difficulties & Equipment

Difficulty: This route can be considered EE/F for both the crests watershed.
 
Difficoltà: L'itinerario è da classificare in EE/F per entrambe le creste spartiacque.

Route

Away from the Tourist Center of the Domaine Skiable of Pila in the Municipality of Gressan. From the Tourist Center of Pila (reachable from the city of Aosta via the Regional Road that from Ponte Suaz (567m) over the Dora Baltea River rises to the town of Charvensod (746m) and then continues, through a small series of hamlets of this Municipality, first reaching Péroulaz (1.359m) on the border with Gressan and then Les Fleurs (1.414m), already within the latter. and Perchu the same reaches the center of Pila (about 1.800 meters). Or, again the Pont Suaz pivot, go up to Les Fleurs with the road that, along the Dora, reaches the Municipality of Gressan (about 600 meters). roundabout right in front of the Municipality, between the towns of Taxel and Chez le Ru, first ascend towards the southeast between a series of small scattered but adjacent hamlets; then at a first bend in the shape of an elbow the same sharply changes direction to the East and, doubling or the characteristic Gargantua Hill. It reaches the Village of Plan David (745m) and then with a series of "hairpin bends" those of Perriail, Champlan Dessous, Leysettaz, Champlan Dessus, Barrier, Tivet and Gerdaz (1.340m; intermediate station of the Aosta/Pila cable car), which he just discards to the left. With another two hairpin bends the same reaches Les Fleurs at the junction with the previous Regional, whence to Pila. From Pila, through the large concrete tunnel, reach the large upper parking area (1.870m), where you can leave the car, since all the "farm" roads in clay to follow have a prohibition sign. From this you reach an intersection of three farm roads, located between Gorraz and Gorraz Damon, taking the one on the right, coinciding with path n° 23 and following it in a southwest direction (abundant signs). Passing under the Gorraz/Leissé Damon cable car, first reach Alpe di Lap (2.076m), which you leave just to the left, then entering the wood of the same name or Bois de Lap. Immediately afterwards reach the Grand Grimod Dessous (2.158m), where a new triple crossing of paths takes place (to the right or north for the Grimondet (2.105m) and to the left or southeast for the Grand Grimod Dessus (2.232m; arrival of the cable car) . Instead, leave the deviation between the two with path n° 23A towards the hairpin bend 2.294m, just below the chairlift which from Alpe Grivel reaches it just above and directed to Col de la Pierre (2.584m). in the South reach the arrival station of the Grand Grimod (2.193m) and the neighboring hour of the Grimod Dessus (2.232m; arrival of the cable car from Gorraz) and continue towards the South through meadows and small grassy-detrital basins reaching a short detour of path n° 23A towards Colle del Couis (2.637m), as well as the farm road that arrives from the 2.258m junction between Grimod Dessous and Grand Grimod. a small detour on the path to the northwest is Colle del Drinc (2.565m) and, through a steeper but shorter stretch, reach the Pointe du Drinc along its East-southeast ridge. Going around to the right or east a short rocky passage at an altitude of 2.601 meters, you can easily reach the Summit (2.663m) with the path n° 1 which leads to some television repeaters of the R.A.I. (E or BSA; 0h'25 from Colle del Drinc; 3h'15/3h'30 from Pila locality Gorraz di Sopra 1.860 meters).

Downhill: descend with the same ridge or quickly and easily with the northwestern one to the Col de la Pierre, whence with the path n° 23A to the Grand Grimod, or to the west towards the Alpe la Pierre (2.119m) via the path n° 8 to then reach Dailleu (1.480m) between Ozein and Turlin. First with the carriage road, which reaches Turlin Damon or di Aymavilles (1.557m), and then with the farm road known in winter as "la Premù" you reach Brin di Milieu (1.642m) and again Pila in the locality of Posse (1.776m).

Via dal Centro Turistico del Domaine Skiable di Pila nel Comune di Gressan. Dal Centro Turistico di Pila (raggiungibile dalla Città di Aosta tramite la Strada Regionale che dal Ponte Suaz (567 m) sopra il Fiume Dora Baltea sale all'abitato di Charvensod (746 m) per poi proseguire, attraverso tutta una piccola serie di frazioni di questa Municipalità, raggiungendo dapprima Péroulaz (1.359 m) al confine con Gressan e poi Les Fleurs (1.414 m), già all'interno di questo ultimo. Toccando in progressione i Villaggi della Petite e della Grande Cerise, Eaux-Froides, Charémoz, Bettères e Perchu la stessa raggiunge il centro di Pila (1.800 metri circa). Oppure, sempre perno di riferimento il Pont Suaz salire fino a Les Fleurs con la strada che, lungo la Dora, raggiunge il Comune di Gressan (600 metri circa). Dalla rotonda proprio davanti al Comune, tra gli abitati di Taxel e Chez le Ru, risalire dapprima verso Sudest tra una serie di piccole frazioni sparse, ma adiacenti; poi ad un primo tornante a forma di gomito la stessa cambia nettamente direzione in Est e, doppiando la caratteristica Collina del Gargantua. La medesima raggiunge il Villaggio di Plan David (745 m) e successivamente con una serie di "tornantoni" quelli di Perriail, Champlan Dessous, Leysettaz, Champlan Dessus, Barrier, Tivet e Gerdaz (1.340 m; stazione intermedia della Funivia Aosta/Pila), che scarta appena a sinistra. Con altri due tornanti la stessa raggiunge Les Fleurs alla congiunzione con la precedente Regionale, donde a Pila. Da Pila, tramite il grande tunnel in cemento, raggiungere il largo piazzale-parcheggio superiore (1.870 m), dove si lascia l'automobile, poiché tutte le strade "poderali" in terra battuta a seguire presentano il cartello di divieto. Da questo raggiungere un'incrocio di tre strade poderali, site tra Gorraz e Gorraz Damon, prendendo quella di destra, concidente con il sentiero n° 23 e seguirla con direzione Sudovest (abbondante cartellonistica). Passando al di sotto della Funivia Gorraz/Leissé Damon, raggiungere dapprima l'Alpe di Lap (2.076 m), che si lascia appena sulla sinistra, introducendosi poi nell'omonimo bosco o Bois de Lap. Subito appresso raggiungere il Grand Grimod Dessous (2.158 m), dove avviene un nuovo triplice incrocio di sentieri (a destra o Nord per il Grimondet (2.105 m) ed a sinistra o Sudest per il Grand Grimod Dessus (2.232 m; arrivo della Funivia). Abbandonare invece la deviazione tra i due con sentiero n° 23A verso il tornante 2.294 m,proprio al di sotto della Seggiovia che dall'Alpe Grivel lo raggiunge appena al di sopra ed indirizzato al Col de la Pierre (2.584 m). Cambiando direzione in Sud raggiungere la stazione di arrivo del Grand Grimod (2.193 m) e la viciniora del Grimod Dessus (2.232 m; arrivo della funivia da Gorraz) e proseguire verso Meridione attraverso dossi prativi e piccole conche erboso-detritiche raggiungendo a quota 2.382 metri una breve deviazione del sentiero n° 22A verso il Colle del Couis (2.637 m), nonché la poderale che arriva dal bivio 2.258 metri tra Grimod Dessous e Grand Grimod. Con quest'ultima, indirizzata alla Pointe du Couis, raggiungere in breve tempo con una piccola deviazione su sentierucolo a Nordovest il Colle del Drinc (2.565 m) e, tramite un tratto più ripido ma breve, raggiungere la Pointe du Drinc lungo la sua Crestina Est-sudest. Aggirando a destra od Est un breve passaggio roccioso a quota 2.601 metri raggiungere facilmente la Sommità (2.663 m) con il sentiero n° 1 che conduce ad alcuni ripetitori televisivi della R.A.I. (E o BSA; 0h'25 dal Colle del Drinc; 3h'15/3h'30 da Pila località Gorraz di Sopra 1.860 metri).

In discesa: scendere con la medesima cresta oppure rapidamente e facilmente con quella Nordovest al Col de la Pierre, donde con il sentiero n° 23A al Grand Grimod, oppure ad Ovest verso l'Alpe la Pierre (2.119 m) tramite il sentiero n° 8 per poi raggiungere Dailleu (1.480 m) tra Ozein e Turlin. Dapprima con la carrozzabile, che raggiunge Turlin Damon o di Aymavilles (1.557 m), e poi con la strada poderale conosciuta in inverno come "la Premù" si raggiungono Brin di Milieu (1.642 m) e nuovamente Pila in località Posse (1.776 m).

Equipment

For Hiking.
 
Da Escursionismo.
 

Campings

Remember that free camping is forbidden (except for emergency reasons, over 2.500m, from darkness until dawn).

Mountain Condition

  • Meteo: you can find all the needed informations at the official site of the Valle d'Aosta Region:
  • Valle d'Aosta Meteo

Webcam

  • WEBCAM on Aosta Valley:
  • Webcam

Books and Maps

BOOKS:
  • "Guida del Monte Emilius", di Osvaldo Cardellina Editore in collaborazione con il Club Alpino Italiano Sezione di Aosta, Dicembre 1978.
  • "Guida dei Monti d'Italia – Emilius Rosa dei Banchi Parco del Mont Avic" di Giulio Berutto e Lino Fornelli - Club Alpino Italiano/Touring Club Italiano, Marzo 2005.
  • "Guida delle Alpi Occidentali" di Giovanni Bobba e Luigi Vaccarone C.A.I. Sezione di Torino Volume II (parte II), 25 Maggio 1896.
  • "80 itinerari di Escursionismo Alpinismo e Sci Alpinismo in Valle d'Aosta", di Osvaldo Cardellina, Ed. Musumeci, Giugno 1977 (in Italian); seconda Ed. Luglio 1981; terza Ed. Luglio 1984; (in French), prima Ed. Febbraio 1978; seconda Ed. Marzo 1980.

MAPS:

  • Kompass "Gran Paradiso Valle d'Aosta Sentieri e Rifugi" Carta turistica 1:50.000.
  • L'Escursionista "Conca di Aosta-Pila-Monte Emilius" Carta dei sentieri (n° 4) 1:25.000.
  • Hapax "Les Sentiers Comunità Montana Monte Emilius", Luglio 2000 1:25.000.
  • Enrico Editore Ivrea-Aosta "Gruppo del Gran Paradiso" 1:50.000.
  • I.G.C. Istituto Geografico Centrale, Torino "Carta delle Passeggiate ed Escursioni in V.D.A. Conca di Pila-Gressan, 1:20.000.

Important Information

Useful numbers

  • Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto n° 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
  • Bollettino Valanghe Tel. 0165-776300.
  • Bollettino Meteo Tel. 0165-44113.
  • Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Graie AlpsMountains & Rocks