Scrambling on Boundary Peak

Scrambling on Boundary Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 18, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

The Climb

Boundary Peak NvView of Boundary and Montgomery Peaks from US Route 6. Boundary is on the left
Climbed Boundary using the Queen Mine route on a beatiful August day. As they, say the turn-off of route 6 is easy to find--right across from Janie's Ranch about 1 mile west of the green "Boundary Peak" sign on route 6. Drove the 6 easy miles to Queen Mine, then the extra mile on the jeep path to the Kennedy Point saddle to camp for the night. Beautiful sunset and a dead calm 75 degrees at 9 pm.

Awoke to a chilly 43 degrees and an awesome sunrise.
sunrise at boundarysunrise at Kennedy Pt saddle
Said "hello" to a pair from Idaho who had parked below the Queen mine and had climbed Mt Whitney the day before. On the trial at 6:15am. Made the Trial Canyon saddle in 1-1/2 hrs. Not long after leaving Trail Canyon saddle, we found ourselves off the trial and scrambling up the scree below the 1st false summitt. After about 45 minutes of tiring scrambling, found the trail again and continued on the west side of the false summitt.
Boundary Peak from 1st False SummitOn the trail in the "notch" after the first false summit, looking at Boundary.


It's a nice hike along the ridge after the false summitt. It's fairly level until you come to a large out-cropping. I went to the left, Darryl went to the right and we continued up along the ridge to the summitt.

Made the summitt after 4 hrs. Unbelievable views all around; I don't know why some people pan Boundary Peak.

What I'd do Different

If you're flying to do Boundary, you may want to fly to either Reno or LA. It's a 5 hour trip from Vegas at 90 mph and pretty boring.

I don't know why there is even a debate about Trail Canyon vs. Queen Mine. Queen Mine is easier to find, a shorter distance from the paved road, and the trail to Trail Canyon saddle is better. (If you can get your hands on a 4x4, do it, 'cause you can cut 1000' of elevation and a mile of trail to camp at picturesque Kennedy Point saddle.)

Queen Mine trail to TC saddle is on a ridge top with great views the whole way. And the trail itself is easy walking--imagine being able to hike at full speed without needing to look down at your feet! And when you're hiking in chilly weather, it's nice to have the sun on you the first thing in the morning.

I hiked the whole thing in tennis shoes, by the way, and had no problem with it. Even after scrambling in the scree, I didn't have a problem with rocks in my shoes.

When you leave TC saddle on your way up, don't be tempted to go low and right. The trail peters out and you'll find yourself scrambling and route-finding soon. Stay left and high and you'll stay on the trail and have better footing.
Boundary peak from Trail Canyon SaddleFrom the saddle, stay left and go straight up toward the false summit. The trail will turn right and you'll pass just below it.


This is my 24th high point and one of my most memorable. The views and solitude (only six of us on the mountain the whole time) are unmatched in my experience.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
TJ311

TJ311 - Aug 23, 2008 3:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Trip Report

Looks like you had an outstanding day on Boundary Peak. Perfect weather! I used this climb as a warm up for Whitney 2 days later. You're right. It is a fantastic peak. Congrats on your summit.

rb1960 - Sep 18, 2018 2:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Queen Mine Route

The Queen Mine trail is easy? You must be joking. I have hiked 33 state high points and two continental high points (Elbrus and Kilimanjaro) and this ranks among the ugliest trails I have encountered (the condition of trail, not the view, which was gorgeous). There is a huge amount of scree on the upper mountain. To make matters worse, the scree and lack of trail signage made the trail almost impossible to follow in places, meaning we lost any benefit from previous hikers packing down the scree. Hikers should plan on one step backwards for every two steps forward on much of the upper mountain.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2