A Few Good Reasons to Keep Going Back

A Few Good Reasons to Keep Going Back

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 22, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking

# 13 and # 19

Do you sometimes find yourself at the same old trailhead heading for the same old summit, climbing a mountain that you have been up what you think is more than enough times? In my case this would be Mount LeConte and the Chimney Tops in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Just recently I made another short weekend trip to the Smokies, and once again found myself on the Alum Cave Trail heading to Mount LeConte on Saturday and on the Chimney Tops Trail on Sunday morning. Having kept pretty good notes from trips past I knew going in that this would be my 13th trip up to Mount LeConte via Alum Cave and my 19th trip to the Chimney Tops.

A large number of these summit visits were accumulated the first few years I started hiking. Since then, I have become somewhat tired of this itinerary. Maybe it’s just the fact that I now have set my sites on so many other mountains, in other parts of the country, not to mention within GSMNP as well. I keep telling myself that there are just too many trails I want to get to to keep going back and doing the same hikes over and over again. But by the end of this weekend I found that I was quite happy that we had hit these same old well worn trails. I realized that there are a few good reasons to keep going back!

The Intro

Chimney Tops
Alum Cave Bluffs


Yes, I repeated the same weekend itinerary of climbing Mount LeConte and the Chimney Tops in late May this year. But the primary reason I ended up repeating it is because I continue to take new friends down to the Smokies to introduce them to hiking in the mountains, hiking in GSMNP, or in most cases both. And when I do this, I want my friends to have as good of a hiking experience as possible, and for several reason Mount LeConte and the Chimney Tops fit the bill. In this particular case, it was my friend Rob that wanted to visit the Smokies. While Rob and I have made the 20+ hour drive from Indiana to Colorado four times, we have never made the short eight hour drive to the Smokies. We had talked about making this trip quite a bit, but we never seemed to get around to making it a reality. During a phone call from Rob in January we decided the time was right, and a short weekend trip in May was planned.

Why this same itinerary? I still have the majority of the trails in the Smokies to hike, but I would argue that from a scenery standpoint the Alum Cave Trail offers the best mountain vistas as any trail in GSMNP. So often in GSMNP the ridgeline views are obstructed, making a hard day of hiking seem somewhat pointless. There is nothing so disheartening as to hike uphill for five miles with 3,000 feet of elevation gain, to see nothing more than a forest of trees all the way to the summit. The Alum Cave Trail to Mount LeConte is that rare Smokies experience that offers unobstructed mountain vistas for a good majority of the hike.

As for the Chimneys, I am sure this is the busiest trail in the park, so why would I choose it for this special itinerary. Well, if you hit the trailhead early enough, you can have the summit all to yourself! And the views from the Chimneys summit are quite special, particulary if you are alone.
Chimney Tops

The Old

Despite having been up these trails so many times, during the hikes I realized how much I never get tired of seeing the same beautiful Smoky Mountain vistas.

Alum Cave TrailView from Alum Cave Trail

Myrtle PointView from Myrtle Point

Rare AT ViewsRare Views from the AT

Road Prong CascadesRoad Prong Cascades

Morning Sunshine and Spring GreenSpring Green on the Chimneys Trail

The New

Despite all of my previous hikes on these trails I was surprised at how many new experiences I had over the course of this short weekend. As I reflected back over the weekend trail experiences, it made me realize that yes there is some merit in returning to the same trails over and over again. You can alwasy find something new to see or experience.



I have been up the Alum Cave Trail at least a half dozen times in the month of May and I don’t ever remember seeing rhododendron blooms in this area this early in spring.
Smokies Spring Rhododendron


I’m sure I have noticed the numerous downed trees along the trails in the past as this is fairly common in the Smokies. This one just seemed to stand out.
Alum Cave  Trail Alum Cave "Trail"


Another trail scene that I had probably missed in the years prior…wildflowers on the approach to Myrtle Point
Smokies Spring Flowers


It is always hard to miss noticing the damage to the Fraser Firs by the Wolly Adelgid, but heading out on the Boulevard Trail, the devastation seemed so much more intense than on my previous visits.
Fraser Fir Devastation


The "Washout" on the Boulevard is always impressive to hike across. I have always wanted to get a good view of it from Myrtle Point and after a little exploring I was finally able to on this trip.

Washout on the BoulevardThe Boulevard Washout from Myrtle Point


Despite my 19 trips to the Chimneys, I have never made it over to the "second chimney". I ran out of time on this trip as well, but I did make a half hearted attempt. Interestingly enough it seemed much less dangerous than what I had previously thought. Of course, this makes me think that I want to go back...so is trip number 20 in the works already?

Chimney Tops


A Little Perspective

My 13 trips to LeConte may seem like a lot to me, but here are few quotes from Hiking Trails of the Smokies that pretty much put my few visits into perspective. Obviously, and for good reason, Mount LeConte holds a certain mystique to the avid GSMNP hiker.

“…Paul Dinwillde of Knoxville had made 744 hikes to LeConte by late July 1993. That’s probably the record for recreational hikers to the popular peak…”

“…And C.L. Baum, who in 1922, at age 61, thought he was the oldest person to hike to LeConte, has lost that distinction to thousands of older hikers. Rufus Morgan, the late long-walking Episcopal minister from Franklin, North Carolina, made his 174th and last hike to LeConte on his 93rd birthday. Margaret Stevenson of Maryville, Tennessee, who has hiked every trail in the Great Smokies and had recorded 607 LeConte hikes by early August 1993, is 81 and still going strong."

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lisae

lisae - Jun 7, 2010 10:15 pm - Voted 10/10

One

reason I enjoy repeating certain trails is to see how things look in different seasons, or from year to year, with differing amounts of rainfall. There is one datura plant in Joshua Tree that I have seen every year for about 7 or 8 years; some years it is in abundant bloom, other years struggling a bit. It is endlessly fascinating to me to see changes, in addition to new territory.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 8, 2010 5:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One

It is amazing how different certain trails look at different times of the year. I remember the first time I hiked up to the Chimneys in April (always was summer before that one) and I was amazed to be able to see the summit from the trail. On all the previous trips the summer leaves blocked the view. For the Smokies, I love April, May and October. So far I've been there in seven different months. I think I need to make a winter trip.

Glad to hear there are others that like going back to the same trails. And yes I need to get to so many California trails. So many trails, so little time.

Thanks for visiting.
Mark

boyblue

boyblue - Mar 21, 2012 7:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Good Report...

...and excellent pictures. There are at least a few different trails that I've hiked multiple times as well. I love going on them in different seasons and even under various weather conditions. Here's another twist: when I'm pretty comfortable with a particular trail, I'll even hike it at night if possible. There was this 14 mile loop in a local State Park that was absolutely sublime when hiked in the moonlight. Just needed to try not to think about cougars and other nocturnal hunters.
-Gordon

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Mar 22, 2012 6:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Report...

When the scenery is awesome I don't mind repeating trails. I am looking forward to my 20th trip up the Chimneys...just not sure when that will be.

Glad to you enjoyed it, and thanks for visiting. Mark

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount LeConteTrip Reports
 
Chimney TopsTrip Reports