Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.16080°N / 71.6444°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 19, 2004
We started our trip up Mt. Lafayette from the Lafayette State Campground, We stayed there for $16 per night. We left the campground threw a tunnel that goes under route 93, here the Old Bridle Path starts and there is more parking for hikers. We headed up the Old Bridle Path trail and at about 2 miles we reached the ridge of Lafayette. Here we started to see great views of Lincoln and Lafayette. The trail is 2.9 miles but the elevation gain is very moderate. We reached the Greenleaf hut after 2 hours. Here we got water and took a break. It was a cloudy day with clearings of sunshine, it was pretty windy though. We merged onto the Greenleaf trail and started to summit the last mile of the mountain. This trail was also painless; we saw children and elderly descending. Because of the hut, there was many people on Lafayette, we saw about 40 people on the way up another 30 on the way down. We had brought a beginner hiker with us so it seemed like it was taking forever to do the 1.1 mile path, but luckily she had taken pictures after we were above tree line because when we reached the summit a front moved in and we were in the clouds. The temp. dropped to about 40 from 65 and the wind was blowing 30-40 mph. We were prepared thought with gloves, hats and fleece. We took a few pictures of gray clouds and headed down. Following the trail back was tricky but you could see about 15 feet so it wasn’t that bad. Once we got to the Greenleaf we were out of the front but it was still cold, we continued to descend and it got warmer. The whole day was over all good, are new comer though was exhausted, she is from Florida and isn’t use to elevation gain, the whole 4mile ascend was 3400ft gain. We stayed at the campground that night, and while I was waiting for a shower I heard two girls under ten asking each other what they did, the first said she climbed Washington and the second was like, “oh, I only did Lafayette.” It’s a good hike though, the whole trip took us 6 hours including breaks and all that.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount LafayetteTrip Reports