Ammonoosuc/ Edmands Path Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.24900°N / 71.331°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-3)
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page for the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail.

Route Description


This route takes the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail up to Lakes of the Clouds Hut. From there it heads south on the Crawford Path over Mt. Monroe, Mt. Franklin, and Mt. Eisenhower before descending the Edmands Path. The trail up Ammonoosuc Ravine is the shortest up the west side of Mt. Washington, but also the steepest. In 3.1 miles you will gain approximately 2,800 feet. There are two or three Class 3 scrambles near treeline, but the rest is all Class 2. Great views abound the whole way. If storms are approaching this is where you turn around.

Once at the Lakes of the Clouds Hut you can take the Crawford Loop over Mt. Monroe or bipass it. From here you'll head over Mt. Franklin on the open alpine ridgeline. The views are amazing in all directions. Head south to the saddle between Franklin and Eisenhower before heading over its summit. Take a nice break wherever you need and enjoy this beautiful setting unmatched anywhere in the world. From here head down the Edmands Path which can be fairly steep, but it gets you down fast. The round-trip distance is 8.2 miles including the portion of Mt. Clinton Road. Total elevation gain is close to 4,000 feet so don't underestimate the low summit elevations.

From the bottom it depends if you had two cars or not. If you parked at the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trailhead you'll have to hike back up the Mt. Clinton Road to the trailhead. If not head home with one car here and the other there.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, food/water, trekking poles, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.