Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.95940°N / 106.4981°W
Additional Information County: Franklin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6927 ft / 2111 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The North Face of Anthonys Nose
Anthonys Nose is the second highest peak in the Franklin Mountains and it rises up just north of El Paso, Texas. As voyagers travel along I-10 between El Paso and Las Cruces, NM, Anthonys Nose is easily recognized as the promontory that resembles a giant olfactory organ. The terrain is quite rugged and the north face of the mountain is often referred to as the "Half Dome of the Franklins" (To the best of my knowledge the preceeding statement isn't really true, but it could be!)


The Franklin Mountains are predominantly vegetated by Chihuahuan Desert plants such as sotol, lechugilla, prickly pair, agave, ocotillo, and yucca. These plants have quite a fondness for unprotected flesh, so dress appropriately for the terrain.

The easiest route up Anthonys Nose will entail some third class climbing and possibly even some fourth/fifth class moves to avoid some densely vegetated areas. There are no established trails on the mountain and it offers a wonderful opportunity to explore desert terrain that rarely sees visitors.
Anthonys Nose viewed from the westThe precipice on the right end of the ridge is Anthonys Nose

 Rocky ridge
From the upper lip near Anthonys Nose

Getting There

There is a network of dirt roads that surround Anthonys Nose. The route we used started from the west side of the range and was accessed by following a well graded dirt road south from NM 404. The parking spot is denoted by a Franklin Mountains State Park sign that prohibits vehicles from continuing towards the mountains. The approximate coordinates for the parking area that we used are N 31.9641 and W 106.5253. While this route worked out for us, there are many othere route possibilities.
 Climbing the ridge towards the noseClimbing towards the nose

Red Tape

Anthonys Nose is in Franklin Mountain State Park. Hikers who wish to park at the Tom Mays unit will have to pay the regular day use fee (~$5). Parking along any of the surrounding dirt roads is free, but be careful of private property.

Camping

There is limited camping available at the developed area of Franklin Mountain State Park just off of Trans-Mountain Road, south of Anthonys Nose.

External Links

Official Franklin Mountains State Park webpate
Texas Handbook link to the Franklin Mountains

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Franklin MountainsMountains & Rocks