Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.82889°N / 106.46796°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5226 ft / 1593 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

SugarloafSugarloaf Mountain viewed from McKelligon Canyon
Sugarloaf Mountain is a minor summit situated on the east side of the Franklin Mountain Range in El Paso, Texas. Sugarloaf is connected to South Franklin Mountain by a ridgeline that juts off from the larger peak and runs south-east until it ends at Sugarloaf.

Unlike the majority of the Franklin Mountain Range, which is part of the Franklin Mountains State Park, Sugarloaf stands on public land and can be accessed free of charge. However since it is not a part of the State Park it is not maintained or regulated.

Sugarloaf helps form the east wall of McKelligon Canyon along with Mount Franklin on the west and South Franklin Mountain to the north.

Getting There

Sugarloaf Mountain is best accessed from the intersection of McKelligon Canyon Rd and Davis Seamon Rd. You can Park along Davis Seamon Rd anytime, free of charge.

From Montana or I-10: Take Airway North and make a slight turn onto Airport. Airport becomes Fred Wilson and for 3 miles and then becomes Alabama. Follow Alabama to the left for .6 miles and turn right onto McKelligon Canyon Road. Stop at the corner of Davis Seamon Rd, just before entering the State Park.

From Trans-Mountain/Loop 375: Take 54 W towards Fort Bliss, Exit towards Fred Wilson/Airport and turn right onto Fred Wilson. Fred Wilson becomes Alabama, follow it to the left and turn right onto McKelligon Canyon Rd. Stop at the corner of Davis Seamon Rd, just before entering the State Park.


McKelligon Canyon/Davis Seamon Trail

McKelligon/Davis Seamon TrailThe faint outline of the trail coming down.
The best way I have found to get to the top of Sugarloaf starts at the intersection of McKelligon Canyon Road and Davis Seamon Road.

You can park along Davis Seamon Road anytime, free of charge.

Keep in mind that there is no marked trailhead and there is no maintained trail.

From the intersection looking up at Sugarloaf you will notice a three tiered rock slide. You have to scrabble up this the best way you can.

Once past the slide and just above the intersection, at the south-west corner of the mountain, you should be able to make out a faint path going straight up towards the mountain. Follow this path all the way to the top.

It is easy to lose the path so be prepared to bushwhack your way to the top just in case. I recommend that you wear boots over the ankles and long pants. Remember that this is the desert and home to Prickly Pear Cactus and Yucca Plants to name a few. Should you separate from the path please do your best not to disturb the plants that call Sugarloaf home.

Coming back down it is much easer to make out the path and you should have no problems staying on it.

Red Tape

Since Sugarloaf Mountain is not part of the Franklin Mountains State Park there is no charge to park or access the mountain. However, since it is not part of the State Park, it is not maintained and there are no marked trailheads or clear trails to the top.