Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.51680°N / 105.61754°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12120 ft / 3694 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sugarloaf from SPP trailSugarloaf Mtn and Ramsey Peak
Sugarloaf Mountian forms the ridge that seperates the North Fork of the Big Thompson River from the South Fork of the Cache La Poudre in the Mummy Range. Sugarloaf's west ridge forms Skull Point (12040+), east ridge ends at Stormy Peaks Pass(11660), and north ridge connects it with Ramsey Peak(11582). Sugarloaf Mountain, though hardly a summit, is often used as the connector of Stormy Peaks Pass with Icefield Pass, and to any number of mountains from there. Several maps show the highpoint of Sugarloaf at the brink of the gorge running NE from the mountain, however if you wish to find the highest point, it is west of point 12101'.

Elevation:12120'
Elevation Gain: 3100' (Stormy Peaks TH)
Mileage: 6.8 miles (Stormy Peaks Pass)

Latitude: N40 31.038
Longitude: W105 36.994

Reaching Sugarloaf Mountain

The shortest and most feasible way to summit Sugarloaf Mountain is from the Stormy Peaks TH in Pingree Park. The trail climbs through the 1994 Hourglass Fire burn areas before climbing 2640' over 5 miles to Stormy Peaks Pass. You can bushwhack straight from the trail in the mountains general direction through willows and low growing bushes at the onset of treeline, but I beleive its much easier to just follow the trail to the pass. From the pass, skirt some rock outcrops to the west and gain the broad, flat east slope of Sugarloaf mountain. Take the time to walk to the edge of the gorge to the south and view the lakes below. After gaining about 400' walking over grassy tundra, look for the highest point, which may take some exploring. From the summit, Skull Point, Ramsey Peak, Icefield Pass and Rowe Mountain could be added to make your hike a little more interesting. Grade II Class 2

If you were only going to look at one picture...

Route from Stormy Peaks PassEast Slope

Getting There

The Stormy Peaks Trailhead is located just East of CSU's Pingree Park campus. Reaching it from US 34 involves taking N Larimer County Road 27 north several miles to Masonville. Take a left at the stop sign and drive NW ~7miles to the intersection with the Pennock Pass road (LCR 44H). This road is closed in the winter so beware. After driving west about 15 miles, you will intersect the Pingree Park road (LCR 131/13). This road will take you to the gate of the campus, the TH is just to your left.

From CO 14, take LCR 131 across the river 10 miles to the TH.

Sugarloaf can be reached also from the Dunraven TH (see links below)

Red Tape

You will be hiking in the Comanche Peak Wilderness and RMNP, so it would be in your best interest to follow the regulations. The section of the trail to the RMNP boundary is non-motorized.


Be advised to start early as afternoon thunderstorms are ALWAYS a danger.
Comanche Peak Wilderness regulations

Camping

The nearest campsites to the TH is the Tom Bennett campground, which also serves as the Mummy Pass/Cirque&Emmaline Lakes TH. There are 12 sites.
The nearest backcountry sites are at Stormy Peaks North (group), Stormy Peaks South and Lost Falls(WF)

External Links

RMNP The Complete Hiking Guide

SP for Dunraven TH

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mummy RangeMountains & Rocks
 
 
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks