Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.48919°N / 105.60828°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 12571 ft / 3832 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This page is under construction. Please attach your favorite images and any other information you think this page should have.

This mountains remoteness and the fact that it is surrounded by other more popular mountains of higher elevation mean that it is often overlooked and passed by. The summit offers excellent views of Lost Lake(10,747ft) and its drainage including Lake Husted(10,093ft) and Lake Louise(11,040ft) and is well worth the trip if one finds themselves in the Northern part of Rocky Mountain National Park.

Getting There

Lost Lake/Dunraven/North Fork Trail Head via highway 43 or Devils Gulch Road from Estes Park. Take Devils Gulch road towards Glen Haven. Turn onto Dunraven Glade Rd, a sign for The Retreat marks the road and is visible from either direction. Continue on Dunraven Glade Rd. to the trail head. The trail head is well marked.


North Fork(Lost Lake) Trailhead

Route

The Lost Lake trail is long with a gentle grade.  It's about 10 miles from the trail head to Lost Lake with only three sections of steep hiking.  The trail follows the North Fork of the Big Thompson Rive for its entirety and offers fantastic oppertunities for the backcountry fisherman. From Lost Lake one can make a direct ascent of Mount Dunraven.  The mountain is't at all technical and can be approached from just about any direction.  Dunraven is even accessible via the Lawn Lake drainage and is often summited along with Mummy Mountain, Hagues and/or Rowe Peaks.

Red Tape

First 5 miles of trail on National Forest land.  Rocky Mountain National Park boundary is clearly market 5 miles in. Camping permits are required as are overnight parking permits. Both can be obtained from any number of locations including (on the East side of the park)the Back country Permit Office outside of the Beaver Meadows entrance and the Wild Basin Ranger Station.

Camping

There are many camp sites along this trail. Nine numbered sites exist on National Forest land before entering Rocky Mnt. National Park.  Once inside the park there are numerous camping possibilities, all named and clearly marked.  A back country permit is required for all camping in the park and can be purchased for a fee of $20 USD at any number of locations/ ranger stations in the park.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mummy RangeMountains & Rocks