Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.85924°N / 123.85702°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Clatsop
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2840 ft / 866 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This Sugarloaf Mountain is in Oregon’s north coastal range. I’ve had my eye on this peak since the first time I saw it from Hwy 53, near the small town of Mohler. It caught my eye because of its conical pointed shape. Since then, nearly a decade ago, I’ve seen Sugarloaf from a couple of other peaks in the area. Sugarloaf Mountain sits in the middle of private timberland, so the approach starts from a gate off of Hwy 26.
The summit of Sugarloaf Mountain was the site of a “crows-nest” type lookout back in the 20’s, and was abandoned in the 30’s.
There is a quite interesting summit block on this mountain in that the rock has many bulbous formations, almost like separate pinnacles. We explored 300 degrees around the summit block, finding several possible scrambles up, although it was wet and Icy making it too risky to attempt without protection. Most likely on a warm dry day these possibilities can be scrambled. I estimate the summit block to be around 60-80 foot tall.
The hike to the base of the summit block consists of a 4.6-mile (1800’gain) logging road hike, then a .6-mile (800’gain) bushwhack scramble. When you get to the base of the summit block…explore till you find a safe way up.
Sugarloaf from MohlerSugarloaf from Hwy 53


Getting There

Head west on Hwy 26…through Elsie, past Necanicum Junction (Hwy 53 and last chance store/gas) and continue west. Look for an un-named road between milepost 5 & 4…in that order of course. The coordinates of the turn are 10T 433759mE x 5083661mN.
Drive in and park on this side of the bridge…you’ll see a gate on the other side of the bridge. Before leaving your vehicle, look in the distance for Sugarloaf Mountain…that will give you a bearing and an idea where you are going. I will include a map that shows the road to where the scramble starts. It’s best to carry this map because you’ll be coming up to many junctions…and choices.
You are about to enter private timberland. Please respect their private property, as you would expect a visitor to respect your private property. We want them to continue to say OK to hikers and bikers…

Red Tape

Standard set of...Rules & Regulations
As I stated before, Sugarloaf Mountain is on private timberland. The company that manages this property is The Campbell Group. I was told that it is ok to enter on to their property if by foot or by bicycle…and as long as there is no “active logging” en-route to your destination. It may be a good idea if you call ahead of time so you don’t drive all that way just to find a “no entry” sign on the gate.
The Campbell Group (503) 275-9675 Refer to the “Sugarloaf Main Line” entry.

Camping

If there was a reason to camp, I guess one could continue west to the beach and find camping there…in Seaside, or Cannon Beach.

External Links

For the summit weater forecast check here