Appalachain Trail (Northbound)

Appalachain Trail (Northbound)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.01460°N / 75.0426°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Park at the Information Center. It is right off I-80. The last exit in N.J. for west-bounders, and the first exit for east-bounders. Bathrooms and water avilable.

Route Description

Blaze -White (Appalachain Trail)
Lenght- 6.3 miles (One Way)

Start at the entrance of the Dunnfield Creek Parking Lot. (On oppisite side of I-80 from info center, use under-pass.)
At 0.1 miles their is a pump with SAFE and CLEAN drinking water. (it has been tested)
At 0.2 Miles the trail turns right on to an old carrage road. the trail stay's on this road all the way to Sunfish Pond.
At 0.5 miles the Dunnfield Creek Trail goes to the right. (this trail does go to Sunfish Pond and meet up with the A.T. again, but it is a harder trail to follow and a steeper climb. If you have a map the trail can be used on your return if their are a lot of people on the A.T. and you want to be alone. balze- Green)
At 1.6 Miles the A.T. come to a 4-way. The Holly Spring Trail (Blaze- Red)is to the right and leads to a springin 0.2 miles (spring may fail in dry years.). The Beulahand Trail (Blaze- Yellow)is to the left and leads to a parking lot on Old Mine Road( The parking lot is called Fairview, this parking lot can be used if the ones at the information center are filled. To get to it follow signs for Old Mine Road and look for signs about a mile in.)
At 2.3 miles their is a view spot to the east of the trail, with views of the Kittatinny Mountains.
At 3.2 miles the trail passes the only on trail camping in Worthington State Forest. No fires allowed and no water the Blue blazed Douglas Trail also intersects here.
At 3.8 miles reach Sunfish Pond (No Camping or Swimming)and Sunfish Pond Fire Road. (the fire road leads to the Dunnfield Creek Trail)
At 4,6 miles the Garvey Springs trail comes in from the left, it leads 600 ft to a seasonal spring. (Blaze- Yellow.)
At 6.2 miles powerlines cross the trail, good views east and west.
At 6.3 miles reach the summit and a large pile of rocks. good views all around.


Essential Gear

Basic day hike gear. snow shoes are need when their is more that 8 in of snow on the ground. check at info. center for snow levels.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.