Coppermines Trail/ Kaiser Road Trail/ AT

Coppermines Trail/ Kaiser Road Trail/ AT

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.01460°N / 75.0426°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I (Class II in Winter)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Take exit one off of I-80 and take Old Mine Road about 7 miles to the Coppermine Trailhead. Park Car and head into the woods.

Route Description

u head into the woods you will see the foundation to and old hotel right away. The trail splits right away. The left path takes you to a mine, is not the main path, and the right path is the main trail. Take it up and around the old hotel. There is a side trail to the Kaiser Road Trail on the right, stay on the Coppermines Trail.After about 1/4 mile there is the first of two mines on the trail on hikers right. Continue on and about another 1/4 miles later you will reach a bridge that crosses the stream that you have been following. The trail goes to the hikers left after the bridge. There is also a heard path that goes straight up the little hill and regains the trail right away. There is another mine to the hikers left a little ways after the hill. The trail the follows a little ridge about 50 ft. about the stream for about ¼ mile. The trail bends to the left and away from the stream for about a 1/8 of a mile. Then the trail reaches an intersection. The Coppermines Trail continues to the left and goes to Camp Road, The A.T. and the Mohican Outdoor Center. The blue trail to the right is a connector trail to the Kaiser Road Trail. The trail is not well defined but is follow able. If you do not re-cross the stream then you should backtrack until you find the trail.
Once you reach the Kaiser Road Trail the route is straight forward. The trail is not very steep and all of the hard parts of the route are behind you. After about a mile and a half you will reach the white blazed Appalachian Trail. It will be about 0.4 miles and 2 “false summits” later and you will reach a pile of rocks. This is the summit of Mt. Mohican. There are great views all along the ridge which continues to the south. Return same way.

Essential Gear

Basic Day Hike Gear. Snow shoes and crampons could be nice in the winter depending on conditions.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.