Appalachain Trail (South Bound)

Appalachain Trail (South Bound)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.31270°N / 74.0067°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

To the Trailhead:
From New York City-Take the Palisades Parkway to Rt 9W 1.3 miles south, following signs for the Bear Mountain Bridge.
From The East- follow Rt 202 from Peekskill
From I-87- take Exit 16 and follow signs for Route 6 East then at the traffic circle take 9W South and turn right at the traffic light. The main parking lot is the second right.
Form the parking lot walk to the Inn and turn left on the paved path. The paved path turns in to the A.T.

Route Description

Starting on the paved path near Bear Mountain Inn, follow the A.T. into the woods.
At 0.2 miles you will pass under the site of a former ski jump.
At 0.6 miles the Suffern-Bear Mt. trail leaves the A.T. and goes left. Turn right and continue to climb.
At 1.0 miles you will reach a road. Due to step cliffs in this area, the A.T. follows this road for about an eight of a mile.
At 1.3 miles the the trail accends a serires of rock steeps.
At around 1.5 miles you will cross the same road as before twice.
At 1.8 miles you will reach the summit of Bear Mt.
Return the same way or take the Maj. Welch Trail.

Essential Gear

Basic dayhike gear. You might want to consider snowshoes in the winter.
Do not worry to much about water because there is a soda machine at the top.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.