Major Welch Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.31270°N / 74.0067°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

To the Trailhead:
From New York City-Take the Palisades Parkway to Rt 9W 1.3 miles south, following signs for the Bear Mountain Bridge.
From The East- follow Rt 202 from Peekskill
From I-87- take Exit 16 and follow signs for Route 6 East then at the traffic circle take 9W South and turn right at the traffic light. The main parking lot is the second right.
Form the parking lot walk to the Inn and turn left on to the paved path. Near the south end of Hessian Lake the Major Welch Trail diverges right and follows the shore of the lake.

Route Description

The trail is blazed with a red rectangle inside a white rectangle.
The trail follows the shore line of Hessian Lake for the first 0.45 miles of the hike. The trail then turns left and goes up hill.
The trail is flat for the next 1/2 mile.
At. 0.7 miles there is a side trail to Overlook Lodge. Over look Lodge is part of Bear Mt. Inn and offers no services to hikers.
At 0.9 miles the trail turns left and starts to climb the north ridge of Bear Mt. There are five or six major rock slabs that the trail climbs on they way up. They may be slippery when wet.
At 1.2 miles there are views of the Hudson River and the steep climbing ends.
At 1.4 miles the trail crosses the Perkins Memorial Drive.
At 1.8 miles the trail passes a picnic area.
At 1.9 miles the summit and Perkins Memorial Tower is reached.
Return the same way or take the A.T. back to your car.

Essential Gear

Basic dayhike gear. Bring plenty of water since there are few sources on the trail.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.