Appalachian Trail from Allen Gap

Appalachian Trail from Allen Gap

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.98704°N / 82.78566°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From Allen Gap on the border of Tennessee and North Carolina, one can follow the historic Appalachian Trail northbound to the summit of Camp Creek Bald.

Getting There

From Greeneville, TN: From the intersection of S Main St and W Summer St in downtown Greeneville, TN, head southwest on S Main for 1.2 miles. Turn left onto TN-70 S (locally known as the Asheville Highway) and follow to the state boundary with North Carolina at Allen Gap. There is not much parking here, but one spot can be found adjacent to the US Forest Service sign which marks the boundaries of Cherokee and Pisgah National Forests.
Forest Service Sign
Forest Service Sign
Additional parking may be found near a sporadically operating business with a spray-painted sign that reads Mom's. On the North Carolina side of the border the highway becomes NC-208 and continues on to Marshall, NC.

From Hot Springs, NC: From the intersection of US-70 and Spring Street in downtown Hot Springs, NC head northeast on US-25 S/US-70 E/Bridge St for 5 miles. Turn left onto NC-208 N and follow for 9 miles to Allen Gap.

Route Description

Allen Gap Trailhead Sign
Allen Gap Trailhead Sign
Follow the Appalachian Trail northbound for 6.2 miles. You will pass the Little Laurel Shelter at 4.9 miles.
Little Laurel Shelter
Little Laurel Shelter
At 6.2 miles you will see a blue-blazed side trail leading up off the left side of the trail. Follow this trail about .3 mile to the summit of Camp Creek Bald where you will find an inaccessible fire tower and various other structures.

Essential Gear

Common sense.

External Links

Madison, NC Vacation and Tourism Information Allen Gap page

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.