Hickey Fork and Pounding Mill Trails

Hickey Fork and Pounding Mill Trails

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.99238°N / 82.70441°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route is a hike through the beautiful, but rarely visited Shelton Laurel section of western North Carolina.

Getting There

From Hot Springs, NC: From the intersection of US-70 and Spring Street in Hot Springs, NC follow US-25 S/US-70 E for 5 miles. Turn left onto NC-208 N and follow for 3.4 miles. Turn right onto NC-212 N and follow for 6.9 miles. Turn left onto Hickeys Fork Rd and follow for 1 mile to parking area near the signed trailhead for the Hickey Fork Trail.
Hickey Fork Trailhead
Hickey Fork Trailhead

Route Description

From the trailhead on Hickeys Fork Road, immediately cross Hickey Fork on the footbridge
Bridge at Hickey Fork Trailhead
Bridge at Hickey Fork Trailhead
and follow the Hickeys Fork Trail for 2.3 miles to the Pounding Mill Trail. you will pass the impressive Hickey Fork Falls along the way.
Hickey Fork Falls
Hickey Fork Falls
The lower section of the Pounding Mill Trail follows the bed of an old road and is an easy walk. However, the upper sections (above White Oak Trail) are often overgrown with stinging nettle. Cross over the Appalachian Trail and continue to follow the blue blazed trail up to the summit area which is marked by several communications towers, an old fire lookout, and some cinder-block buildings. You will travel on the Pounding Mill Trail for 2 miles making the total ascent about 4.3 miles. 

Essential Gear

Common sense.

External Links

Trip report of June 11, 2013

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.