Armeña

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.51200°N / 0.31980°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: F+ (Fácil, Easy)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

see main page

Route Description

Slope to gian: 1512m (1077m from hut of Armeña)
Total: 5h (3h 20min from hut of Armeña)

Climb to Hut of Armeña
In the little parking of the track we follow the signal across the forest for arrive to the same track in upper side. The path is signaled with cairns in a beatifull forest with hard slope to arrive under the hillside of mount Reduno to the col of Ibon de Armeña (1900m, 1h15min). After a little descent to the ibon (lake) we follow the path in the right side of the lake to the little ramp and the mountain hut of Armeña (1835m, 1h 30min). Important: fountain near of the hut.

Climb to the summit
Behind the hut we follow the evident channel with hard slope among the stones. This is an arid area with a lot of stones, karst,...very hot in summer (no more water from the hut) and hard to reach the col in left side of the mountain, between Cotielleta (left) and Cotiella (right). To reach the col is neccessary the use of the hands in some places (I, easy, complicated in winter).
2 option from the col:
-left (normal): easiest but longest, reaching the visible col (colladeta) in left side with the little peak of Neis. From the col the ramp SW is easy but long with a lot of stones.
-front: walk to the bottom of final cone and climb the chimney of I and I+ to reach directly the summit (more complicated, a little exposed)

The summit of Cotiella is an impresionant observatory including Monte Perdido, La Munia, Bachimala, Suelza, Perdiguero, Aneto / Maladeta, Besiberris, Chia, Peña Montañesa,....

Essential Gear

In winter crampons and ice-axe specailly to reach the 2 cols and the final ramps. Early in the season it's necessary according with the snowfalls but generally the normal routes are free of snow from june to september.

GPS coordinates

-End of track, parking: 42º30.441N, 0º22.516E, 1426m.
-Hut of Armeña: 42º31.444n, 0º20.832E, 1886m.
-Col of Cotiella: 42º30.484N, 0º19.382E, 2686m.
-Summit of Cotiella: 42º30.719N, 0º19.191E, 2916m.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

CotiellaRoutes