Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 29.78865°N / 9.1056°W
Additional Information County: Anti-Atlas, Jebel El Kest
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4921 ft / 1500 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Babouche Buttress

The Jebel El Kest group is a fascinating and wild climbing area having a complex orography and divided into two main areas, the Jebel el Kest North Side, which is located to the North of the main summit, the Jebel El Kest, and the Jebel el Kest South Side to the South.

 

Babouche Buttress
Babouche Buttress

 

The Afantinzar Valley, a beautiful high valley SW to the village of Idaougnidif at the Northern end of the massif, is one of the best known climbing sector. The climbing area begins at Ighir, a small village located on the Afantinzar road just beyond the important signposted junction with the major road to Agouenz and extends from Ighir to the Afantinzar high col. Here the road starts to drop down into the Tagzene climbing area. This latter is not an extensive climbing area, however it counts some very worthwhile cliffs, amongst which the Babouche Buttress, a friendly accessible and sunny crag situated just to the West of the Afantinzar high col. The buttress is imposing and about 200 meters high.

Sundown in the Anti Atlas range
Sundown in the Anti Atlas range

Getting There

Several international flights run to Marrakech and Agadir. The best choice is hire a car (in the Airports there are many Car Hire Agencies).

- From Marrakech the road to Tafraoute involves a trip of 400 Kms and takes nowadays about 5 hours via the new Motor-way connecting Marrakech to Agadir, then following a busy road via Inezgane (near Agadir), Biougra and Ait Baha; alternatively you can follow the road via Asni, through the High Atlas range, a trip along a narrow mountain road inside a charming and scenic landscape, and Taroudant (it takes at least 7-8 hours).

- From Agadir the travel is shorter (you can drive to Tafraoute in 2 hours on a 170 kms good road), but the flights’choice is more restricted.

Afantinzar Valley with Harram Peak seen from Ighir
Afantinzar Valley with Harram Peak seen from Ighir
The Ksar Rock, one of the highlights of  Afantinzar valley
The Ksar Rock on the road to Babouche Buttress

Road access to the Babouche Buttress

From the village of Ida Ougnidif on the North side of the Jebel el Kest massif take the road rising with several bends to enter the Afantinzar Valley. At the junction in the village of Ighir take the main left concrete road road leading to the Ksar Rock. Continue driving on this road reaching the Afantinzar high col, from which the road drops down onto another valley.

Crazy Mushrooms Ridge

Babouche Buttress – Crazy Mushrooms Ridge (British scale)

Summit altitude: m 1500
Difficulty: HVS, 5b (British alphanumerical scale)
Equipment: none, the conformation of quartzite allows conveniently to put down protections along the pitches and on the stops
Route length: 190 m
Exposure: South
First ascent: Alberto Rampini and Silvia Mazzani 2011, October 25th
Starting point: Afantinzar road after Afantinzar High col

A superb route on perfect rock, not to be missed!  Solitary situation, but quick approach and descent.

Walking approach - After the high col along the Afantinzar road the road continues westwards dropping down into another valley. Find a pull-out at a bend along the road just below the pass. The approach is quite obvious; from the parking follow the steep slopes descending towards the buttress. 0,15 minutes.

Start of Crazy Mushrooms Ridge, Babouche Buttress
Start of Crazy Mushrooms Ridge, Babouche Buttress
Beta of  Crazy Mushrooms Ridge, Babouche Buttress
Beta of Crazy Mushrooms Ridge

Route report

L1 - Climb a little slab leading towards right on the ridge and follow it to a good terrace with a big block. Belay on a hole. 4a, 30 m.
L2 - Straightly up climb the magnificent orange and overhanging edge, continuous but with good holds. Hanging belay on a very good pinnacle. 5b, 25 m.
L3 - Climb a thin groove on the right of the edge, then return left and climb a fine orange wall leading to a good stance. Belay on a hole. 4c, 25 m.
L4 - Up along the magnificent ridge to the summit of the pillar. Belay on the top. 4a, 32 m.
L5 - Descend 3 mt. to the saddle between the pillar and the main wall, then climb straightly the intimidating yellow wall in the middle, heading to a characteristic winding crack. Climb it, then another cracks’ system on the left and finally rise along an extraordinary carved ridge with big rocky mushrooms, reaching a large terrace. 4b, 40 m.
L6 - A short wall on the left leads to an easy ridge. Follow it. 4a, then easier ground, 47 mt. Scramble up easily to the double summit.

Exciting climb on Crazy Mushrooms Ridge, Babouche Buttress
Exciting climb on Crazy Mushrooms Ridge
Crazy Mushrooms Ridge
Crazy Mushrooms Ridge

 

 

 

Descent - an easy walk in the East direction leads to the road near the Afantinzar Col (15 minutes)

Essential gear

Double ropes, a complete set of friends and nuts, quickdraws and slings, helmet and usual belay devices

Airy traverse on Crazy Mushrooms Ridge, Babouche Buttress
Airy traverse on Crazy Mushrooms Ridge
Start of the Crazy Mushrooms fifth pitch
Start of the Crazy Mushrooms fifth pitch

Other routes

Babouche Buttress from East
Babouche Buttress from East

 

 

 

 

- Cousin Mark E1, 5c 150 m

- Spring Offensive VS, 4c 140 m

- Business Time VD 130 m

Red Tape

Climbing doesn’t suffer official and established restrictions, but however climbers are urged to respect the ethics of the pioneers, in order to preserve in the area the original adventurous trad climbing. In all the quartzite routes to date, no bolts and a few pitons have been fixed or used. In fact, the quarzite provides ideal cracks to place friends and nuts.

Nature

The landscape is marked by the shape of the Argan trees, producing plenty of berries, which precious oil finds a large use in cooking and beauty culture, and by the palms in the oasis. We can find some other spiky vegetation as cactus, prickly pears and the beautiful but unpleasant Euphorbia everywhere along the approach tracks and on many climbing routes.

The perfect shape of the Euphorbia
The perfect shape of the Euphorbia
Prickly pears near Sidi M'Zal
Prickly pears

 

The Euphorbia is growing mainly on the slopes and on the steep walls facing South and it must be avoided because of its irritant white milk. The area counts many species of mammals, like gazelles, antelopes, wild boars , the native grey squirrels named "sib-sib", and many kind of birds. Various kind of poisonous snakes and scorpions have been reported, but it’s rare to meet them during late fall and winter months.

 

Mother and son
Mother and son
Date palm nearby Tafraoute
Date palm

When to Climb

The best seasons to climb are Fall and Spring, till April, when the weather is mainly fine and the temperature is pleasant. Late in the spring and in summer the temperature rises up dramaticaly, and climbing is virtually impossibile. Winter (December to February) is traditionally the wet season and rain, cold and even snow, on the highest peaks, sometimes may be a problem. Nevertheless, you can find often pleasant temperature also in winter during the day, though the evening and the night can be quite chilly.

Rock climbing scales

Grades are expressed in the alpha-numerical British Scale, as usual in the the Jebel El Kest region. See below a helpful conversion diagram:

Rock Climbing Rating Systems

 

Accomodation

The Kasbah Tizourgane
The Kasbah Tizourgane
View over Tafraoute, Jebel el Kest south
View over Tafraoute, Jebel el Kest south

North-Side – A nice place to stay is the charming and traditional The Kasbah Tizourgane, nearby Ida Ougnidif

South-Side – Different kinds of accomodation in Tafraout. An excellent choice is Hotel Les Amandiers on a hill dominating the town. Other options in Tafraoute: Argana Guesthouse www.argana-tafraout.com, Hotel Salama, Auberge Les Amis and Hotel Tete du Lion

In Tafraoute there is also an equipped campsite

Jebel El Kest map

Guidebooks and maps

Jebel El Kest North Side guidebooks

"Tafraout - Rock Climbing in Morocco's Anti-Atlas" Vol II - The North Side of Jebel El Kest and Jebel Taskra by Steve Broadbent, Oxford Alpine Club 2013

“Morocco Rock – Jebel el Kest & Taskra North, 1000 Rock Climbs in the Anti-Atlas” by Emma Alsford and Paul Donnithorne, Crack Addicts 2012

“Moroccan Anti-Atlas North” by Steve Broadbent – Oxford Alpine Club 2010

Meteo forecast

Meteo Province/Tafraout

External Links

MOROCCO ROCK
CLIMB-TAFRAOUTE



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Jebel el Kest GroupMountains & Rocks