Bass Creek trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.60160°N / 114.254°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From US 93 turn west onto Bass Creek road located 4 miles south of Florence. Travel 2.5 miles to Charles Waters Memorial Campground. The Bass Creek trailhead is located at the west end of the campground.

Route Description

Proceed west up the canyon on Bass Creek trail. The trail goes around the base of the southeast ridge at approximately 5 miles. At just over 6 miles a meadow opens up with a very visable, rocky streambed which punches straight up to the upper reaches of the southeast ridge.

As you work up to the top of the meadow, the streambed narrows between rock walls on both sides. Pick your way up through typical streambed terrain. The crux is a five foot high boulder shelf which experienced scramblers will enjoy solving.

Eventually, the upper slopes open up and you can get out of the streambed. From here you are treated to a steep mix of rocky terrain, trees, and deadfall. Once the top of the southeast ridge is reached, follow the ridge line up to the broad summit plateau.

This route is the long way around. Round trip distance is 14.7 miles with 5800' plus of elevation gain. Expect to take between 9-12 hours depending on ability.

Essential Gear

Good sturdy hiking boots. Gloves are quite helpful on the descent.

Acknowledgements

Image courtesty of thephotohiker.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.