Because of my Knee Surgery

Because of my Knee Surgery

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

My Hike of Avalanche Peak

As I sit here recovering from knee surgery (conducted on June 21, 2011), I present this photo album of my hike last year to the summit of Avalanche Peak in Yellowstone National Park. This was the very first mountain I have climbed that was more than 10,000 feet in elevation. I chose it because the hike seemed straightforward, was devoid of any technical climbing, and was relatively short in both mileage and duration. Also, it would be the best opportunity for a hike after a couple of days of acclimatizing to high elevation, after having spent a couple of nights sleeping at, or above, 8,000 feet above sea level.

I'd never been to country so high, and I didn't know whether or not I'd
User Profile ImageWhen My Knee was Healthy
suffer from anything like altitude sickness. So to be safe I figured a few days of easy day hikes around the park were in order before I hiked what, to me, was a big peak.

My son was going to hike the mountain with me, but the day before he got a pretty bad cut on his foot and so he decided to wait for me at the car while I made the hike. Just as we got to the parking area, we spotted a grizzly bear in a field near the road. I was able to get a number of shots of the bear. This was one of my major goals on this trip--to see a griz. The bear did not like us and he took off a moderate pace, apparently wanting nothing more than to keep a lot of space between himself and us. I got some shots of him with the regular lens, but by the time I got the telephoto lens on the camera he was pretty far away and I only got three quick photos of him before he descended into a small gully and vanished for good.

It was thinking of the grizzly bear that I began the hike alone.

Now I'm waiting for the knee to begin healing and dreaming of past hikes and future summits.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Jun 23, 2011 8:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice collection

Avalanche was my first 10,000-footer too, July 4, 1976. You should link the album to the Avalanche Peak mountain page!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 23, 2011 9:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice collection

Will do!

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 23, 2011 9:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Here's to...

...a speedy recovery! What happened with the knee? Hopefully you'll be all healed and ready for some nice hiking sooner than later.

Take care!
Mark

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 23, 2011 9:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Here's to...

Thanks! Wear and tear and finally a serious injury (meniscus tear) from my work as a letter carrier. My surgeon tells me I should be able to start some modest hikes in about a month or two.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm - Hasn't voted

All the best

Also wishing you a speedy recovery. I popped my LCL (not badly...) right before my summit attempt of Mt. Whitney. I'm like: "Damn the knee, I've got a permit, airfare and rental car reserved!!! Agh! If this thing doesn't heal, I'll go insane!"

I hope you're back up and at 'em in no time!

Sarah

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 24, 2011 7:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: All the best

Thanks! I'm already hobbling about, so I'm hoping I'll be hiking again in just a few weeks, as my surgeon suggested.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 25, 2011 1:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Good luck

Thanks! So far, so good. I'm already hobbling around!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.