Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.95514°N / 111.82079°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 6597 ft / 2011 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Black Cap Mountain stands above the small town of Salina, Utah. Covered in scattered Juniper and tattooed with the initials "NS" for North Sevier, it dominates the view to the east from the town center. 

Getting There

From the main intersection in Salina, drive east then turn right onto 300 East. Continue straight on this road out of town as it travels along I-70. About 2 miles past the city park, the pavement ends. Before the road turns south under the freeway turn left onto a small 4WD dirt road into the canyon traveling north. About 2-3 miles, take the first left across a small valley onto a gray dirt road that will require some high clearance in your vehicle. Drive until you come to a fork in the road in a meadow on the northern shoulder of the mountain. Take the left fork onto an even fainter path to the edge of the trees.

Route

From the treeline off the meadow, follow the ATV tracks south. It meanders a bit but is not steep. At the end of the road, go straight up the slope.
Round-trip Distance: 1.32 miles
Elevation gain: 337 feet
Gaia Trail Black Cap
Northern Route from the Dirt Road

Red Tape

The land is managed by the BLM.

When to Climb

Year-round.

Camping

There are some flat areas near the trailhead that could serve for camping. Otherwise, campsites are plentiful in Willow Creek to the north.

External Links

City of Salina, Utah


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.