Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.87691°N / 111.87599°W
Additional Information County: Sevier
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6690 ft / 2039 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Carter peak is a small Desert peak outside the town of Salina, Utah. It is easily noticed as the pointed volcanic cone standing 1,500 feet above the surrounding desert on the south side of the I-70 between Salina and Richfield. It offers amazing 360-degree views of the entire Sevier Valley.
Fresh Coat
Fresh Coat

Getting There

From I-70, take the Salina exit and drive north to the main intersection in the town. Take West Main Street west outside of town. Make a soft left toward the town of Sigurd. About a mile after the fork, take a left onto Sage Flat Road. After an additional mile, take another left onto Lost Creek Canyon. Continue on this road under the freeway and around the peak to the south side. From there, you can spot the dirt road that ascends the south side of the peak. The other option is to park on the southeast flank and meander up the clay slopes.
The Last Switchbacks
The Last Switchbacks

Route

The road to the summit is straight-forward but is impassible to vehicles the last couple hundred feet. 
Round-trip Distance: 2.8 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,190 feet
March View
March View

Red Tape

The peak is on BLM land except for the summit which is on private land.  Please respectful of the property owners and do not touch the electronic equipment.

When to Climb

You can ascend this peak anytime of year. The best time is early fall.

Camping

There are no designated campsites in the immediate vicinity of the peak. However, there is a camping area in Salina at the Butch Cassidy Campground.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.