Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 24, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall

Road Trip!

This was my first highpoint, and I did it just a few days before my birthday on the 24th of October.

On october 24th, i drove from Enid, OK to Guymon, OK and spent the night. ON the 25th, i woke up real early and saw the sunrise near historical Fort Nichols, about 20 miles away from Black Mesa. it was pretty cold and a little windy; but i had music blasting out of my truck and just stood there in the cold and watched the sun come up. it took about 50 minutes or so because it's so flat up there, that it took a long time between when the first glimmer of red showed up in the clouds to when the sun actually began to come up above the horizon

Hiking up the Mesa

After watching the sunrise, i finally drove to the State Park; walked around there, and then headed up to the trail, which is about 20 miles away fom the state park. the drive was very desolate; i think i saw one car the entire time. but then got the trail head, and heard coyotes all around me; and decided to go anway...i was a little worried because i didn't have cell phone service and i was by myself....but did it anyway. the hike up to the summit took about an hour and twenty minutes. it was a great hike; even by myself. it wasn't windy at all, just overcast, so i didn't get sunburnt at all.
looked around for about 20 minutes and then walked back down. i took more pics on the way back down, instead of up coming up because i was pretty excited lol.

overall took me about 3 hours to do the entire trip. all 8.5 miles of it. was a lot of fun. definitely doing it again.
sunrise at Black Mesa State Park

Afterwards

Just another pic from atop the mesa. I ended up driving to Capulin Volcano afterwards and drove and hiked up that afterwrads. this is in New Mexico. You can actually see the volcano from Black Mesa; likewise, you can see the mesa from atop of the volcano too.

After that i drove into the mountains of new mexico and stayed a night in Taos, NM. The following day i drove to sante fe, and then on to Amarillo, TX. Spent a night in Amarillo (ate dinner at the Big Texan!), and then drove back here to Enid on the last day.
hiking up Black Mesa


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Black MesaTrip Reports