Oklahoma Highpoint 2007

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.93190°N / 102.9977°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 27, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mixed
Seasons Season: Summer

Memorial Day Black Mesa Climb

I have been meaning to visit this highpoint for many years now. Just never got the time to do it. It takes quite a drive from Tulsa, OK to get here so it's not just a weekend event for me. I met up with a friend in Hydro, OK on Friday night. Saturday we headed for a geocaching, photography, hiking expedition across NW Oklahoma and the panhandle.

We stayed in Black Mesa State Park on Saturday evening. I suggest staying here the night before you do the hike or the evening after your hike. The reason I suggest this is because this hike is best done early or late in the day during most of the summer months. Obviously this region of the country can be quite hot and brutal. Water is not available on the 8 mile round trip so bring your own. Sunscreen is also a must. Of course, most of you should no this but it never hurts to remind right?

The hike is quite easy for most people. If you can walk 8 miles then you can complete the trek. For the first 2 or 3 miles it was flat. Then uphil for about a half mile then flat again to the "summit". The summit is quite flat in terrain. After getting to the top we spend about an hour chilling out and photographing the area before heading down.

After the hike we visited the "Merc" in Kenton for a great "dino" burger and a soda. The staff in the store will also present you with a highpointer certificate after you make the climb.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Black MesaTrip Reports